Author   Comment  
Rod T

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone

1957 Yellowstone Camper I did a few weeks back. Pine for the body and African Sapelle is the darker timber. I didn't do the trim bits on the outside of the truck or van as I liked the smooth look... or maybe just too lazy.

Finished with Howards Orange Oil, which is a furniture polish but works really well on raw timber.

Van1.jpg Van2.jpg Van3.jpg Van4.jpg Van5.jpg 

Cheers
Rod T

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Rod T,

This is a museum quality masterpiece and I like the custom modifications for a clean, classic look. The choice of woods is superb and the photo work is pro. Thanks so much for sharing your work with the Forum. 

How do you obtain the smooth curves and the matching surfaces with such precision?
ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
Very very nice.  Love the natural wood and the contrast using the light and dark.  That finish you do is excellent.  I will need to see if I can find some orange oil.  I think I see a dowel used for the hinge but can you verify.  It is very well blended.  Hard to find dark woods for dowels.  Also, I like how you used a axle pin for the trailer hitch.  Good idea.  I really like your work. 
Cindy
Rod T

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Cindy
Yes a dowel at the top and bottom of the van door for the hinges. It is a hardwood dowel and the end grain goes quite dark with the oil. I can get 4mm dowel here. The axle pin for the trailer hitch and also the steering wheel pin are a bit lazy, but they work really well.

John, I use Olson PGT blades on the scroll saw, which tend to cut pretty smoothly, but I also sand quite a bit after glue up. The caravan was a bit tricky as it is higher than my disk sander.

Cheers
Rod T
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #5 
Wow Very nice indeed![thumb]

I like the little extra's and how well everything blends together.

Thanks for sharing.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.