Author   Comment  
Rod T

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone. 

Had a market stall at my daughters school fair on Saturday. 1st time doing this, so was quite a learning experience. 
I was selling my toys, My wife was selling pendants that she makes (I make the wood parts) and my daughter was selling her home made "Slime".
Was a very successful day, particularly for our 1st go at this. 
We sold 49 wooden toys (Only the small ones sold), 15 pendants and Molly sold out of all of her product.

IMG_1811.JPG  IMG_1812.JPG 

Cheers
Rod T

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #2 
That's awesome Rod T. I really like your setup. All those cars look fantastic.

I did my first market day back in July and I'm preparing for my second one which is just under 5 weeks away. My table looked very sparse compared to yours. I only had 12 sales (mostly smaller items). It was a very wet day so there wasn't a lot of foot traffic...I'm hoping that sales might be better at the Christmas one.

2017-07-01 00.43.26.jpg 

Reply with quote  #3 
It was certainly a learning experience. 
I think I had too many cars out on the table, the customers were a little bit overwhelmed with choice. 

I like your small low table at the front of your stall. I'm going to copy that next time. 
A good spot for samples and also good height for the little kids.

Good luck on your next market. Christmas should be a boomer for you.

Cheers
Rod T

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Rod T, this is wonderful news. I have been behind on reading forum posts and was really thrilled to see this post this evening. I am impressed with the entire setup. Thanks for the great photos and for sharing the details of the Show with us. It is greatly appreciated.
Frankg

Reply with quote  #5 
These kinds of events people are looking for good bargains and not usually big spenders. That's why most of your smaller items sold. That's been my experience. So when I make items that sell over $15 I wonder if I'll get any bites! 

Just sharing,
Good luck!

Reply with quote  #6 
Rod T,
Your set up and toys look great!  What would be your price for something like the 57 Chevy or the VW?  More importantly, how do you deal with the CPSC regulations regarding selling wooden toys with more than one piece, and an applied finish?  They have strict regulations regarding heavy element content, size restrictions of parts, and a million other concerns.  I had thought of selling my toys as you did, however the red tape stopped me.  I now just give the toys away to hospitals, churches, and schools.  
 VJ
rdredge

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod T
It was certainly a learning experience. 
I think I had too many cars out on the table, the customers were a little bit overwhelmed with choice. 

I like your small low table at the front of your stall. I'm going to copy that next time. 
A good spot for samples and also good height for the little kids.

Good luck on your next market. Christmas should be a boomer for you.

Cheers
Rod T

rdredge

Reply with quote  #8 
Rod T,

I found also that when I started I had too many on the table.  Now I just put out 1 of each style and replace as they sell.  I think I have sold a lot more this way.  Just a thought.

Rdredge
Rod T

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks everyone.

Rdredge: Good advice, I can see the sense in this.

VJ: The 57 Chevy was priced at $85 and the VW was $65. The medium sized toys like the Jakes Diner cars and trucks were $35-$40 each. A bit expensive for the School fair. The little ones were $5-$15 each.
We paid $40 for insurance for the day. This was organised by the school. Public Liability insurance. 
Most markets have a similar arrangement from $10-$40 a day added to the site fee.
If I was doing this on a regular basis I can get my own annual insurance for about $260 a year. 
This is Public Liability and Product Liability Insurance, but only if the product is called a "Wooden Model" not a "Wooden Toy". We can't get Product Liability insurance for "Toys" regardless of how they are made etc.
I have been looking into this a bit lately as there is a shop here that wants to sell some of my things. I am thinking of only putting the bigger items in there and calling them "Models"

Cheers
Rod T
vj

Reply with quote  #10 
Rod T

Thanks for the info.  The CPSC seems to omit "toy models".  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.