Author   Comment  
Bourbon

Reply with quote  #1 
Following on from my first post, Here is my 2nd lot of trains. I built them as a production run of six. I hated doing it! I have only finished these three, the rest are still in paint. I made them only one colour as I thought that would be quicker but It just makes it very tedious to do. The next time I make them ,it will be one at a time.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: three trains.jpg, Views: 26, Size: 276.62 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: three trains 2.jpg, Views: 27, Size: 286.53 KB 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
These came out really nice. I like the group photos. Sometimes I find it easier to do one at a time and then some designs are more fun to make in groups of a dozen or more! Thanks for sharing.
Bourbon

Reply with quote  #3 
I tell you honestly John. these were a trial to do. I will finish the other three but at a much slower pace. I was hoping to see an improvement in my woodworking, It hasn't happened yet!

BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
I too find production runs more difficult to stay focused on. Now I make mostly one at a time. I't is much eaisier for me to stay ontask that way. Exceptions to the rule are toys that sell. If one sells I'll make two next time and depending on how many I sell I will increase the number. 

Bourbon

Reply with quote  #5 
I don't sell my stuff. Getting a CE mark in the UK is so much bull I would rather waste my time doing other stuff instead.
TTT2014

Reply with quote  #6 
Bourbon,
     The trains are very nice and basic and wonderful colors.  Producing a production line is at times difficult but I have found that if I make all the piece have them set on a table in piles then assemble one at a time it is easy.  The only thing is that you may need more clamps than what you have (Believe me my wife always wonders why I buy a set of clamps when she thinks that I have plenty). 

I have a question, what is a CE Mark? 

Thanks Troy
Bourbon

Reply with quote  #7 
I agree, you can never have enough clamps. A CE mark is a European standard for stuff for sale. All toys made for Kids have to have one. It's meant really for the big players importing from China and such places where they don't seem to mind a little added lead in the paint, sharp edges and small bits that fall of and choke the darling kiddies. But Small home wood workers have to comply with the rules too. It's a big fine and possibly imprisonment if you don't have one. The law states, 'If it looks like it would appeal to a child or has play value, then it is a toy' And as such needs a CE mark
TTT2014

Reply with quote  #8 
Bourbon,
    Thanks for the information.  My wife is from England and I would like in the future to be able to sell a few things there but wasn't for sure what a CE mark was.  Now I know and appreciate the information.

Thanks, Troy
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.