You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Bargain Basement $3 Wood Toy Plans (Reg. $4.95-$19.95)! Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
ctowne

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Folks -
This week I will be making motorcycles.  I had a request from a customer, they are not sure what they want so I will make 3 types and let them choose. I love all these plans and they will definitely be good sellers.  The plans are:  Reallywood Chopper, Scroll Saw Magic Macho Motorcycle and the Scroll Saw Magic Shock Hog. 

I'm am going to provide daily photos to document the process.  Please ask questions if anything is unclear.   As many of you know, I alter the plans.  I will provide info on my thought process of making these changes. 

The Chopper and Macho Motorcycle will be made at 100%.  I am going to make the Shock Hog at 80% so it has the same wheel size as the others. 

Let the fun begin.  Photo of my assistant helping pick which plans to make

FB_IMG_1459101442148_resized.jpg 

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm looking forward to this! I dig your assistant.
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
I am so excited about your new projects. And the entire forum is holding it's breath to see each installation. I am finding the forum even better than reality TV! You would be shocked to see the stats of how many thousands of hours of visitors come to the forum every week. Lots of visitors stay for over an hour at a time and many are returning daily. But only a few of us take the time to post-but that's OK. The posting that is done by members is some of the best of the forum posts about woodworking that you will find anywhere on the internet.

About the dog, AWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHH I  love the dog. What a wonderful photo. 
Bucko

Reply with quote  #4 
Sounds good Cindy, enjoy your build and Thanks for allowing us to be part of your build.
Tony

Reply with quote  #5 
I can tell you the shock hog is a fun build. I made the wheels for it with a 2 3/4" hole saw out of walnut. Looking forward to your builds.
Tony

Reply with quote  #6 
I look forward to the progress shots. I have the Shock Hog plan, but haven't attempted it yet. Looks like some tricky cuts to be made. 
I'll be interested to see it and the others being built.

Cheers
Rod T
Miriam Janssen

Reply with quote  #7 
I am looking forward to the pictures of your motorcycle journey!
Have fun!

- Miriam -

Reply with quote  #8 
The first cycle I'm making is the Chopper.  It looked easiest by the pictures.  First problem, I have 2" flat slab wheels and "assumed" that's what the plan called for, NO.  

So this is my usual reason for altering a plan, to use the wheels I have on hand.  All three plans will be made with these wheels.  There are excellent posts on this site about making wheels and I am not there yet with holes cutters.....  
The most important thing to look at when you do not use the wheels suggested by the plan is the width and axle hole size.  Part #5 and #1 had to have the hole size reduced.  I forgot to check the width before I cut so after, I had to make some changes.

I do a wood review first to see what type of colors I can make a plan and mark the types on the plan before I cut them out.  In this case I used Aspen for the white wood, Mahogany for the red wood and walnut for the dark wood.
20160326_080850_resized.jpg 

After that process, I cut out the pieces and attached them to the wood choices.  Prior to this I've glued up 2 3/4" pieces to make any 1.5" required.  I try to stack cut any pieces that are 1/2" thick or less, those pieces have also been taped together ready for the plan.  The way I attach plans to the wood is first applying packing tape and then just a glue stick to get the plan on there.

20160326_102143_resized.jpg 

This plan required a few compound scroll saw cut.  What that means, you have to cut on adjacent sides.  This is my first attempt at that.  The pattern needs to be attached to the wood with the dotted line on the edge of the wood. And that edge needs to be flat and perpendicular.     I predrilled the axle hole and a hole to cut the center piece. 

20160326_141731_resized.jpg 

The next picture shows where I made the initial cut on one of the sides.  I cannot tell you if one side is better than another to start with, I was a little nervous. 

20160326_142219_resized.jpg 

After that cut I tape the piece tightly together to flip it 90 degrees and cut on the other side.  This is the final result of a different piece that required a compound cut. A little scary but it can be smoothed out with sanding.  You can see the pieces pictured above in the dish behind the handlebars.

20160326_154838_resized.jpg 

I cut the rest of the pieces, two others had compound cuts.
More to come tomorrow.  Please ask any questions on anything not clear.  I am not a woodworking master, I am more like a wood McGeyver, so I will answer as best I can.

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
This is a fascinating toy to build and your step by step instructions on how to cut the 3 dimensional scroll saw patterns is priceless. I will be watching the progress post by post!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #10 
Lookin' good. 

Compound cutting can be a bit tricky, Your lay out has to be accurate. I Tried to make a chess set once.using compound cuts. I never finished it because my children kept taking the pieces to play with. If I didn't get them perfect I was going to be there awhile filing and sanding. I still have what left of the set around here somewhere.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

ctowne

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks BabBob - compound is tricky but it worked this time.  You are correct, the starting piece needs to be exactly square.   It looks like there are compound cuts on the Shock Hog.

The chopper is complete.  Really it did not have too many pieces and because of that the assembly was very fast.

To get the headlights at the correct angle for drilling I clamped a squared end board to the bottom portion of the bike body.  Photo probably makes more sense than my explanation.

20160326_154158_resized.jpg 

Accidents do happen while sanding but I was able to glue this piece and use it, didn't have to recut.  I hand sand all my pieces to get the edges not sharp.  And I mentioned yesterday that I did not check the width of the incorrect wheel I used.  Well I was lucky that it worked out ok but I am not going to be able to add the decorative round disc brake type thing on the wheels.  The back wheel really doesn't show but it would have been nice on the front wheel.  I even tried with some 1/16" discs and did not have enough room.  Something to fix when I make it again.  Every plan you learn something.
20160326_184216_resized.jpg 

Well here she is after a salad bowl oil bath - I will let it sit a week and apply another coat.  The aspen really gets dark on the end grain portions.  Another learning point.

20160326_200854_resized.jpg  20160326_200907_resized.jpg

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #12 
This is a really fine piece of workmanship. Wow! Sometime if you have time we would all enjoy seeing videos of your construction techniques. We have new storage capacity on the forum and now have plenty of memory for videos. It is best to make each video clip around 2 to 5 minutes for easy uploading and also for viewing.
ssweet

Reply with quote  #13 
I agree...WOW! Looks great Cindy!

Reply with quote  #14 
Nice work Cindy, a virtual high five to you on the Chopper.
jlcrafter

Reply with quote  #15 
Wow! Not only are you talented but you're fast! That's an exciting Macho Motorcycle, Cindy. Did you mention what wheels you were using? They look great.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us