Author   Comment  
Bucko

Reply with quote  #1 
Today offered me some relaxation time for a build, I choose the recently offered Hot Rod. Main Body is 1 1/2" thick Box Alder, Flames are 1/8" thick Cherry while the lights and wheels are Oak. I've added a few Tips to the photos that may help someone along at some time on their build. The wheels are a Hybrid between a Flat Wheel and a Treaded Wheel and I made the front wheel  at 1/2" thick while the rear wheel is 3/4" thick. Enjoy my build and a big Thank You for the plan [smile] hr1_opt.jpg  hr2_opt.jpg  hr3_opt.jpg  hr5_opt.jpg    hr6_opt.jpg  hr7_opt.jpg  hr8_opt.jpg  hr9_opt.jpg  hr10_opt.jpg
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Wow-this is an amazing set of photos and a great choice of woods and detail. Please post more photos of the wood toy car from different views so we can fully appreciate your efforts. This post has made my day!
Rod T

Reply with quote  #3 
What a great little car Bucko.
I just read John's post about the group of 12 of these coming out. 
I'll be making this one for sure.

Cheers
Rod T

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
Great looking little car for sure.
Thanks for sharing the build pictures.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks so much for the replies, this was a great build and utilized some misc. pieces of wood that I had to create a very fine vehicle of which I would say is quite sturdy for fun and play. Brief recap to go with the pictures-main body is Box Alder,flames are Cherry while the Wheels and headlight/tail lights are Oak. Main body is 1 1/2" thick while my car is 6.5 inches long although the printout did show the wheels at the 1 1/4" dia. front and 1 1/2" dia. rear. Finish is 3 coats of spray polyurethane which was quick drying. Enjoy my pics of the Hot Rod. rodside_opt.jpg    leftside_opt.jpg  rodside2_opt.jpg  rodside3_opt.jpg  rodside4_opt.jpg  rodfront_opt.jpg  rodrear_opt.jpg
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks so much for the great photos and the inspirational how-to's. This makes me want to get busy and finish out the Play Buddies 12 new toy plans project.
ctowne

Reply with quote  #7 
Very nice.  Thanks for the play by play
Bucko

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the positive replies John and Cindy, I was looking at the Hot Rod today and impressed how strong of a play toy it is while combining a sharp look. The Play Buddies should do well in all aspects.
mlusk123

Reply with quote  #9 
Great job my friend. I need two more major tools in my shop and it will be pretty much complete to my liking. Wood lathe, and router table. Those wheels look really sharp. 

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

Bucko

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks so much for the complimentary reply, I really enjoy adding such bonus touches as these wheels to the builds.
gsmith89

Reply with quote  #11 
Well done Bucko I really like how you did your wheels. Bucko how did you get the black in the tread?
mlusk123

Reply with quote  #12 
I would like to know how you did it too what gsmith89 stated!

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

Bucko

Reply with quote  #13 
Very good question and best I can answer is by the YouTube video I’ll attach. The wires come in a package of 3 which are 3 different diameters. To get the same shade of Black on each burn it’s best to give a fast count after the smoke starts to time of letting off the wire tension. Another tip is to make sure no dust or chips below as I’ve seen a small ember come off occasionally.
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #14 
Nice little car and lots of great tips, thanks Bucko!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.