Author   Comment  
FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #1 

I'm not sure what it is that I like to do more, build these trucks or to play with them. 

This was a great and interesting build. Each one gets a little easier.  I have to throw a big thank you out to these forums in regards to tricks and tips of all the toy builders here. 

I have to throw a big thank you out to these forums in regards to tricks and tips of all the toy builders here. 

The blue tape, then pattern and then packing tape in prep for cutting and drilling was a great tip. I was tracing my patterns onto cardboard templates and repeating for my cut outs. 

IMG_2324.JPG  IMG_2322.JPG  IMG_2327.JPG 

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nicely done.
These look very sturdy.
Thanks for sharing your builds...

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
These photos are priceless. And thanks for sharing your love of toymaking. I have been a toymaker designer for over 50 years and still get so excited about it I can't sleep. I am usually up and going around 5 AM and work until about 7 PM and that is 7 days a week. I eat, sleep and breathe wood toy design and some folks think I am obsessed with it. I know I am obsessed with it.
Willem

Reply with quote  #4 
And please stay obsessed with it John. I like your designs. The problem is, when I finish a toy I'm not sure if I want to sell it or keep it for myself.
The say, "The only difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys".
Greetings
Willem
FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed357sw
Very nicely done. These look very sturdy. Thanks for sharing your builds...

Thanks Ed. 

They are very sturdy and well designed. 

FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
These photos are priceless. And thanks for sharing your love of toymaking. I have been a toymaker designer for over 50 years and still get so excited about it I can't sleep. I am usually up and going around 5 AM and work until about 7 PM and that is 7 days a week. I eat, sleep and breathe wood toy design and some folks think I am obsessed with it. I know I am obsessed with it.

I have gotten myself into trouble at times by asking my wife to hand me a tool or some needed material for whatever project I was working on in my sleep, lol.  She used to think it was funny and played along. Now she just smacks me back into reality. 

Rod T

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for sharing the pics Farsider. Nice work indeed.

There is definitely something very special about making something and then holding the finished item in your hands. Very hard to part with. 

How did you make the wheels dark? Did you stain them or do the roasting trick?

Cheers
Rod T

BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem
And please stay obsessed with it John. I like your designs. The problem is, when I finish a toy I'm not sure if I want to sell it or keep it for myself

Price them high. If they sell it lessens the blow. If it doesn't sell you get to keep it.

😁

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod T
Thanks for sharing the pics Farsider. Nice work indeed.

How did you make the wheels dark? Did you stain them or do the roasting trick?

Cheers
Rod T

Thanks, Rod. As for the wheels, I use a Burnt Umber Acrylic which is diluted to 1 part Burnt Umber and 5 parts water. 

ctowne

Reply with quote  #10 
Burnt Umber - the go to for carving folks, good idea on the wheels. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.