Author   Comment  
Rod T

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone

About a year ago I made a 57 Corvette with the font and back windscreens cut out, but they looked a bit odd.
I found a post on Pinterest of the same thing, but with a better result, so I had a go at this and made 2 over the last couple of weekends. 

IMG_1776.jpg  IMG_1777.jpg  IMG_1778.jpg  IMG_1779.jpg  IMG_1780.jpg  IMG_1781.jpg  IMG_1782.jpg  IMG_1783.jpg 
Cheers
Rod T

gazz

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice work Rod T
They are awesome, i have these plans not got round to making as yet. Would it be possible for a photo with the original Corvette just to compare, I can see the extra windows cut out.

Reply with quote  #3 
These look fantastic. I really like the side window cutouts.

Reply with quote  #4 
That looks great.  I really like the side profile of the window detail.  I also like putting the side detail by the tire on top rather than a cutout.  Thanks for sharing the modification.  As always, really love your natural wood choices. 
Bucko

Reply with quote  #5 
Perfect look, nicely done
Rod T

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks everyone

Gazz, I used the Corvette Coupe plan for the side pieces. As you can see, leaving the outside edges of the front and back windows intact so that it formed little quarter windows. 
I used the Corvette Roadster plan for the internal pieces to create the seats etc. 
The plans for the internal pieces call for 3 pieces at 3/4 inch thick, so I made the 2 outside pieces and the centre piece 1/4 inch each. 
I also had to cut 3 little roof pieces and glue together, I just used the top bit of the plan.

Here is a pic of my original one. I am much happier with the new one with the window surrounds at the front and back. 

IMG_1196.JPG 
Cheers
Rod T

gazz

Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you for the details on how you made the windows, I do agree the newer windows do look better.

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Gazz

I found a photo of the templates that I made for this. 

IMG_1727.JPG 

Cheers
Rod T

gazz

Reply with quote  #9 
Nice, I have thought about doing the same. Making toys/models from pictures but wasn't quite sure how to go about it.

Reply with quote  #10 
Nice work Rod [thumb]

I like the effect and choice of colours in the timber.

Are they finished in oil or anything?

Reply with quote  #11 
Doc,  I use Howard's Butcher Block conditioner. 
It is, I believe, very similar to Cynthia's Wax made of mineral oil and beeswax.

Not toxic and very easy to apply.

Cheers
Rod T

Rod T

Reply with quote  #12 
Doc,  I use Howard's Butcher Block conditioner. 
It is, I believe, very similar to Cynthia's Wax made of mineral oil and beeswax.

Not toxic and very easy to apply.

Cheers
Rod T

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.