Author   Comment  
Bucko

Reply with quote  #1 
I've made my version of the 57 Corvette Roadster from toymakingplans.com. The woods used are Spruce,Cherry and a piece of Oak for the Windshield. When I make this car again the only change I'd make is to put more of a curve into the front of the windshield but overall the plan is great. The Spruce was a first for me and I enjoyed working with it quite alot. Enjoy my pics and also enjoy your day.

Scroll Saw Magic 1957 Corvette Roadster

vettefinishing_opt.jpg  vetteforum_opt.jpg

TommyT

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice job!!!!  Love the wood combination!

Reply with quote  #3 
Nice contrast of wood ,and grain direction is good too . A nice model . Douglas 
Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
Bucko - Great looking corvette and I really like how you made the centre section out of 5 pieces of wood giving it the racing stripe look. Nice inlay on the sides as well as the door.
   So, did you brush on the Poly, do a little sanding and brush on some more. Many old timers like myself like to thin the Poly to a 17% solution, apply the Poly, let it soak in, raise the grain, sand and then apply full strength. I use this method a lot for furniture, never really tried it on any of our plan sets yet.
   I see you've been to Rockler, good use of their pucks and standoffs, they work really great. I guess my hot melt glue and nail trick would be pretty hard to use on this model, unless the nail was a 1 foot long spike, just kidding my friend.
Thanks for posting.

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #5 
Bucko

You are the man.  Very nice job.
I love the contrasting woods, makes the front look awesome.
Did you stack cut the center of the car out?  You really have a great match on the center 5 pieces.

I like what you have done here.
We get to see the finished product soon I hope.

Thanks for sharing.

Bucko

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks so much for the replies, On Udie's question[s], yes it was brushed on using the inexpensive harbor Freight .59 cent 1" brush. A store opened up 7 miles from me and I like those throw away brushes, I used steel wool after the 1st coat of 4 coats to remove a raised roughness. The Rockler cookies are great and I got them last year at 66% off for a complete set of 8 with pyramids and long and short extensions for approx $ 33.00.   Yes Ken I stacked and glued the complete middle section and cut on a small bandsaw with the 1/4" wide blade which worked great. The car is done and if I listen close I'm sure I hear a Ciccarelli Gran Prix car coming down the road.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.