Author   Comment  
Douglas

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone , here is one that I thought you would like . A neighbour saw the freaky fords I was making and asked me if I could make this car from a photograph for her son in laws birthday . I said ,I would have a go ,and this is the result . It is made from scrap pine wood , the paint is acrylic ,finished with a quick dry varnish ,the headlights are watch batteries . The registration No . is the same as his car , just to personalise the car to him .  Hope you like it . I am fairly happy that it is a reasonable likeness . Douglas S1430002.JPG  S1430001.JPG  S1430001.JPG  S1430005.JPG
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Douglas - [thumb] Outstanding replica of the real thing, your neighbor's jaw must have dropped when you presented it to them. I am really curious on your build method. Was this project carved from a solid piece of wood or built with components. Front/rear hood as well as the fender contours really intrigues me. Your accent pieces like the rear wheel fender skirt, door handle, mirror for example really make this replica pop.
   How about sharing the dimensions and wheel diameter of this toy. I think our members/guests would really appreciate knowing the scale. Thanks.
ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
Wow.  Very nice.  I would like to request the same info Udie did. 
Cindy
Douglas

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi there Udie , Clowne , In answer to your request .    My neighbour was speechless when she saw it , it was beyond expectation she said . .........  I don't feel that clever ...the end result is nice ,but to achieve it was quite simple really . I just approached the project in a methodical manner . The photo attached is what she gave me to work on ,which as you can see is no use in working out any sort of scale ,..so I went on the internet to find a technical drawing of the car , I measured the drawings components multiplied it by three to give me a scale that I could work with . I did my own drawing to that scale , this is attached as you can see . Each graph square is 5mm . I then cut a block to the size of the outside measurements of each wing (fender) ,I cut another block to the measurements of the Bonnet ( Hood ) ,and another block to the size of the Boot ( Trunk) This gave me 6 Blocks , I then shape each block using bandsaw and sanding bobbins etc. , each block is solid . I then glue the front wings and bonnet together ......the rear wings and boot together , finally shaping these to the finished article . I then mounted the front and rear sections of the car onto a plank of wood spaced out to give me the door apertures , ....this plank gave me a chassis and consequently the floor of the passenger compartment . I then made the doors and glued them in . This gave me a nearly completed car body .  I made the inside of the passenger compartment as a separate module as it would have been extremely frustrating to try to build each component into the compartment . I just measured the hole it was going to fit into , made a base to build on, fitted the centre consul, seats, seat harnesses, gear lever , dash, steering wheel ,gauges when the glue was dried  I just dropped it into the hole ...........Then it started looking good . I made the windscreen on my scroll saw ,no problem , ........ I cut the wheel arches using a forstner bit during initial cutting of the blocks  . I made the wheels and axles on my lathe , drilled the chassis to suit . The other bits and pieces are self explanatory , the front grill was made out of tooth picks because they are strong and already nicely finished .  That is all there is to it .   If anyone wants any more info please ask . Douglas SCAN0180.JPG  SCAN0181.JPG  SCAN0182.JPG
Douglas

Reply with quote  #5 
Just to clarify the scale drawing ,the way the grid square have been printed out represents 10mm . The scanner hasn't picked up the fine grid lines of my drawing . The registration plates and badges I made on my computer , printed them off  ,laminated them ,cut them out stuck them on ....simple . Cheers Douglas
Douglas

Reply with quote  #6 
Thankyou for the compliments Udie , Clowne  ....much appreciated ..Douglas
Udie

Reply with quote  #7 
Douglas - Thank you for the in-depth build information and sketch. Now we can really see the complexity an thought behind this project.
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #8 
Douglas, well done!
Jeremy

Reply with quote  #9 
Excellently made! Well done!Thanks for sharing the detail of how you went to work to built this model.
Regards
Dolf
Douglas

Reply with quote  #10 
Thank you Dolf     [smile]
happymonkey

Reply with quote  #11 
This is a great car you have made. Would be great to make some plans and a build description or something. Maybe this can be entered into the advanced built plans that so many people keep asking about. It looks so good you could mistake it for a die cast or air fix mode. Keep up with the good work.
Tim
Douglas

Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you for the compliment Tim . My build description says it all really .I don't want to get too deep ......it is only a hobby .  Thankyou Douglas
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.