Author   Comment  
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a couple of ways that I use for scrolling names and places on the models I make. The reason for this is to commemorate a child's birthday or maybe an anniversary, also when doing craft shows one can take orders for the names of a person,place or thing to be put on a special toy using this method. The Bulldozer was the toy that I used to put a business name and location on. 100_5035.JPG 
This is the Bulldozer on one side as you can see the arms that hold the blade has the town scrolled in it this was a through scroll on a 3/4 wide by 1/2 thick piece of scrap wood. On the side of the hood is another scroll but this was done different, I cut a 1/8 inch piece of wood from the hood and then cut the scroll out of that 1/8 piece and before I reattached it to the hood I painted the back ground Black and then used glue to reattach the scrolled piece to the hood.
100_5022.JPG 
In this view it shows the other side of the Bulldozer and I have also added the Town Name and and the last part of the business name using the method that I described in the first picture. Another thing that can be done is radiators these cross cuts can either be done with a Band saw or with a scroll saw. I did these with a scroll saw because it was already set up and ready to go. In closing if there are any questions on methods for this type of scrolling let me know and I will try to answer your questions.

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Sdaupanner: Great post. Appreciate the detailed description of the two (2) scroll saw methods for the lettering and added black background to make the lettering pop.
Udie
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for Sharing Sdaupanner

I can't wait to try some of your ideas.  Incorporating names onto our toys is a great idea.

Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #4 
I would think that when it comes the birthdays or any other special day or time of the year this could be used. I also do almost the same thing with compound scrolling and these when given are a pleasure to the gift receivers. The Key Chains are made from 3/4 by 3/4 pieces a bout 6 " long then print out the persons name on your computer in a 48 font this should fit onto the 3/4 blank. With this done separate the First name and  the last name and now put painters tape on the 3/4 blank covering all 4 sides then spray contact glue onto the blank and the two pieces of paper that have the first and last name and attach them to the blank but not to opossing side but one name first then turn it 1/4 of the way and place the second name there then drill out for your scrolling of the name and doing one side then do the other side when finished remove the tape sand and put a key chain on and spray with poly and you have a gift fit for a king. If the letters are a little rough file them with a point file these will do nicely.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.