Author   Comment  
johnkc

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,
These are veering away from the main subject of this forum but are still for a child and I really wanted to show you our latest project. These are a pair of bespoke book ends we were asked to make and they were designed and hand painted by Sylvia my partner and cut by me. We used good quality 6mm birch-faced plywood for all parts barring the bases and these were 19mm MDF. They were hand painted using water based acrylic paint and then a couple of light coats of acrylic varnish, the results are below.

book2.jpg

We tried to get a 3d effect by having the monkey swinging in front of the background by approx.20mm and the snake sits in the foreground.
  book3.jpg  P1010008.jpg

I know these are not strictly toys what this forum is about so I got permission to post these first as I thought it only right.

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #2 
Johnkc

I am so glad to see you posted these awesome Bookends.  
Just love your paint job, the colors just jumped off the page at me.

This will bring big smiles to the little ones who see and receive it as a gift, and that is what it is all about.

Another fantastic job.

After I wrote the above, I looked again, and I am sitting here wishing I could paint like that.  Good Stuff.

Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
John and Sylvia
These are fantastic. Love the 3D design, graphics and artistry.
You guys make a wonderful team combining your talents.
You mentioned you used 6mm plywood (which is about 1/4").
Did you seal the edges with anything or have to do anything special before you painted the edges?
And what about the surface of the plywood itself, any special preparation there first?
As Ken, has already mentioned - the colours just pop!
Thanks for sharing.

johnkc

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for your comments
The plywood was dipped into watered down P.V.A. adhesive (50/50) after it had been cut then left to drip dry overnight when dry it was sanded using 320 grit paper the edges are sanded using a home made sander that fits in the scroll saw to get into tight spots
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Johnkc,
   I am so glad that you posted these beautiful and playful book-ends. The images are perfectly executed while having a whimsical and playful attitude. That combination of features has been very difficult for me to create when designing a new toy but you and your partner have achieved it with humor and style. I love it!
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Mesmerizing! I would've stared at these for hours when I was a child. I would've placed them on a bookshelf that I could see directly from my bed so I could fall asleep staring at them. My dreams would then be filled with jungle adventures!

KenG

Reply with quote  #7 
Terrific job!! The design is great and the colors would get any child's interest.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #8 
They're fantastic book ends, great work, love um.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Flodu74

Reply with quote  #9 
Very very nice job 
The colors are fantastic for children !
Flo
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.