Author   Comment  
StewRat

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi

I'm making 2 x father and son arks for granddaughters' Xmases (whole other story about how ambitious that was for a newbie).

Now the end is in sight - albeit remotely - my mind turned to how to present/store these.

Both families have fairly small homes and 2 kids so they're not going to thank me for another sizeable toy that can't be stacked/stored easily. The older sisters already have a dolls house and a castle from me that take care of that!

So I need to do something better than a cardboard box for xmas morning.  

My current thinking is a close fitting box with side opening that hinges down. So it can be stacked, and things put on top of it, but its also accessible to open the door and slide the ark out without a major operation.

By the time the arks and animals are finished there wont be much time left so I dont have much scope for protoyping, so I'd appreciate ideas on what might work best in terms of materials and construction.

I don't aim for them to be fancy so ply and MDF seem top contenders. 
But how thick? I dont want to add any more weight than necessary.
Can I make a box this big (600x200x300mm) with glued butt joints or do I need to screw and/or frame it?

Thanks for any guidance.

Stewart
Trav

Reply with quote  #2 
I have made a couple chicken head arks and they're not huge or weighty such that I'd consider a framed box. At most I'd probably put some pocket screws in it.
StewRat

Reply with quote  #3 
Is that the animal cracker ark?

It's a bit smaller than the ones i'm building but not a million miles off.

I see there are optional box plan for that - do you know what that is suggested to be made of?
Pics look like ply but can't discern the thickness without buying the plans [wink]

Thanks
Trav

Reply with quote  #4 

Yeah, the animal cracker ark.

No, I don't know what the box is made of. I only bought the plans for the ark. I would have probably gone with 1/2 plywood myself and covered any exposed edges.

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
Hi StewRat,

The thickness of the wood specified in the plans for the Noah's Toy Box for the Animal Cracker Ark is 1/2". If you have any other questions just let us know.

Cheers,
Cynthia 
StewRat

Reply with quote  #6 
Thankyou Cynthia

1/2" ply it is.

Time permitting, a sunburst stain on each panel.

Realistically, it will take a nice overall stain 😉

Stewart
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.