Author   Comment  
David Jahnke

Reply with quote  #1 
After being pleased with the outcome of the old truck, I tried my hand at a slightly different style of construction.  I built this fire engine to test some ideas - being new to building these models.  I made this one out of poplar, and I think a few other species crept in there also.  I was pleased with the outcome of this one.  A friend of mine is a professional fire fighter and I gave it to him in thanks for all the help he gives me.  He was shocked to say the least! 65041277_438835846672018_5027931052606784378_n.jpg
flamepainter

Reply with quote  #2 
Very nice build David. Once again it shows how a little imagination can produce really nice results.
Jim
David Jahnke

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamepainter
Very nice build David. Once again it shows how a little imagination can produce really nice results.
Jim

Thank you!  I saw the picture online and just made it my own, small details here and there.  The original just had the hard hoses attached, but I thought building them 'holders' made it look better.  I also messed up the windshield a bit...  will know better next time!
Bud

Reply with quote  #4 
I am going to build this fire engine, but I have a question:  The front fender seems a little fragile.  With just a top glue joint and not fastened to the body except at the bottom end, isn't there a danger of that front fender getting easily broken?
David Jahnke

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud
I am going to build this fire engine, but I have a question:  The front fender seems a little fragile.  With just a top glue joint and not fastened to the body except at the bottom end, isn't there a danger of that front fender getting easily broken?

Yes.  Very fragile.  And frankly made the work far more complicated than necessary.  I think I glued those fenders up at least three times BEFORE attaching, and reattached them twice more after that.

My adjustment?  Next one will have a one solid piece - that should take care of the first problem.  I'll also make the fender a bit thicker and use some very small dowels to attach, which should provide a bit of extra strength.

Another part that fell off too easily were the 'fire extinguishers'.  I'll just run a forstener bit into the fenders to stabilize them better.  Sort of funny I did those types of adjustments for the hard hoses for both visual as well as structural reasons, but not for these other parts.  Oh well...  live and learn they say.
Bud

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the info. I may try to make a closed fender which will give strength to the inside and try to find a way to attach it to the hood in a way that doesn't look to weird, maybe make it more molded like some fenders I googled of 1932 semis. If it works I will send you a pic.
Bud
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 

The fenders on your fire truck look thinner than the 3/8-inch thick ones in the plans. If this is the case, that will make them more fragile.

I plan to make one of these sometime in the future, and I will be modifying the fender design. I think gluing end grain to anything without some reinforcement is always a bad idea. I'm thinking of backing up the fender to attach it to the body or frame. In photos of the real truck, it looks like that is what they did.

Here is an excellent place to use some good plywood like Baltic birch.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

David Jahnke

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob

The fenders on your fire truck look thinner than the 3/8-inch thick ones in the plans. If this is the case, that will make them more fragile.

I plan to make one of these sometime in the future, and I will be modifying the fender design. I think gluing end grain to anything without some reinforcement is always a bad idea. I'm thinking of backing up the fender to attach it to the body or frame. In photos of the real truck, it looks like that is what they did.

Here is an excellent place to use some good plywood like Baltic birch.

That might have been my problem...  I was not using plans.  I saw it and just winged it using guess work.  I think your suggestion is excellent!
Daniel L Abbink

Reply with quote  #9 
ON THE FIRE TRUCK FENDERS I USED 3/4 INCH OAK AND CUT THEM ONE PIECE

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.