Author   Comment  
Luther P

Reply with quote  #1 
Another fun train!

I thought I'd share another fun train that we make.
As with most of my toys, we paint them and then burn them with a torch to get that color effect. Then we apply a clear sealer. Although the black color we do not burn, it doesnt change the look at all. It sounds crazy but it works great!

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: il_570xN.774465471_kddf.jpg, Views: 94, Size: 27.95 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: il_570xN.774426476_pupb.jpg, Views: 99, Size: 22.70 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: il_570xN.774464901_719y.jpg, Views: 91, Size: 23.72 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: il_570xN.774426006_jfmg.jpg, Views: 86, Size: 19.50 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: il_570xN.774375723_p6h4.jpg, Views: 74, Size: 21.97 KB 

Trav

Reply with quote  #2 
They're neat. I love wooden trains. I've got one half finished in the shop. The burning technique is interesting. I might check to see if there is a youtube video on that.
Luther P

Reply with quote  #3 
If you would like i can do a video to show you. I haven't seen a video or anyone do it on any toys.
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Luther. I love the train and please do the video for all of us on the forum. I am looking forward to it.
Trav

Reply with quote  #5 
I was just watching some on youtube. It looks pretty straight forward. I really hate painting so I'm always on the lookout for ways to achieve variation in colour without having to do so. I might give it a try.

But here's a question: Do you use this technique on a variety of different woods? I'm wondering if the results are better on some species as opposed to others. Or hardwood versus softwood?
Luther P

Reply with quote  #6 
Most of our toys are made out of clear Pine. I like the look of pine. I haven't tried burning any other kind of wood. Pine is inexpensive, so if I choose to burn wood I'd rather burn a cheaper wood.
As far as the color of the paint, Some colors will look better than others.you will get a different color effect from the burning. You just don't want to hold the torch on the painted area too long you just want to discolor it a little.
postfire

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav
They're neat. I love wooden trains. I've got one half finished in the shop. The burning technique is interesting. I might check to see if there is a youtube video on that.

It's easy to burn the wood, just skim over the surface with a propane torch and then if it's too heavy, brush it with a wire brush.
maritimer

Reply with quote  #8 
Really like the burning effect!
TheWoodsmiths

Reply with quote  #9 
Pine burns so neat because of the early wood and the late wood. That is the different streaks you see in pine. One is softer than the other so it burns, darkens, quicker and gives you the striped effect. It can be even more pronounced if you fine sand the areas with a fine grit block sander. It will brighten the light areas. A finish of clear or orange shellac gives it a nice finished look. Great looking trains.

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for your input. Yes we burn most of our toys, we like the look. Some colors look better burnt more than others.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.