Author   Comment  
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm having lots of fun with Play Pals, while learning to use the scroll saw. I've settled on 5/4 inch thickness timber, as I think that really suits the look of these little toys.
After making a couple of pickup trucks, I thought it would be cool to hollow out the truck bed, I've had a go at two, the first time I used a drill bit for most of the material removal, but then I thought maybe a router bit would work better, so I tried that in the drill press. It does work, but the rotation speed is a bit low for a really good cut, I think. Both versions were finished with a small chisel.
Still some final sanding and then painting required, but here is how it looks so far.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: D75_1201.jpg, Views: 48, Size: 378.34 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_1202.jpg, Views: 48, Size: 341.09 KB 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
I have wanted to do this for awhile. My plan is:

• cut the body from some thick stock (2x4)
  • cut the sides off with a bandsaw
  • cut the bed out with the scroll saw
  • sand the bed if needed
  • glue the sides back on
  • sand and finish
Much like you would make a bandsaw box.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #3 
Love the idea and the trucks Tom!  I also like your plan BadBob.  I wonder, would you get enough depth if you cut the bed first out of the square block using a router table or plunge router?  If so, then you could cut the bed first and then cut out the body on the scroll saw.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
I was planning to cut 1/8 inch off each side with a band saw and cut the bed out with the scroll saw. Pretty easy to do with a the MicroJig Grr-Ripper.
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #5 
They look really good. You did a great job on those inside cuts on the window...I really struggle with getting them square so I cheat and just drill them out.

What a great idea! I think BadBob's method would suit me better. Look forward to giving this a go sometime.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.