Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #1 
So I had a request for a scroll saw project of a "Classic Mustang"
Now I'm 65 so my idea of a classic was what i made. Apparently hers was about 30 years newer LOL
She wanted it as a wall hanging or a sit on the desk type.
Well it just so happen that "Steve Good" had just released a great looking 1968 classic mustang.

When I showed it to her she was like that's to old. I want a 1990's "FOX Body" Mustang (of which I had never heard of )
So I'm guessing my Classic is going to hang in the shop near the Scroll saw to remind me that not everyone's classic is the old Cool looking car's LOL
So anyway I'm searching for a good pattern for a 1990's Fox Body SSP (special service package police car (apparently used by our KY State police)
So far I have found several picture's of a not very good looking car compared to the one below LOL

At any rate I'm pleased how it came out. But I really hate cutting letters Really Really [bawl]

IMG_1910.jpg 
IMG_1911.jpg 

Reply with quote  #2 
That is a cool car, nice job

Reply with quote  #3 
looks good to me ...that would be my choice for a classic mustang 
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for looking and commenting.

I still hate cutting letters LOL

Reply with quote  #5 
That is another great piece of scroll work Ed.

Can't you find a photo of the type of car and make your own pattern. Being a total amateur at this side of woodwork I did it with a dog for one of the family.
KeyHangercomplete.jpg 

Reply with quote  #6 
its all in the details   Charles Dearing has a dvd that goes through his process have a look at his work

https://www.facebook.com/Charles-Dearing-Patterns-For-Sale-106837579432017/

https://www.youtube.com/user/CharlesDearingScroll

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #7 
My problem is where to put the vein cut's. The fox body mustang has no real detail like the classics. If you look up photos of it it is such a plain car LOL
Derek the dog looks cool....

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed357sw
My problem is where to put the vein cut's. The fox body mustang has no real detail like the classics. If you look up photos of it it is such a plain car LOL
Derek the dog looks cool....

Looking back on it I could now do better

Reply with quote  #9 
Ed...that is fantastic and would be exactly what I was thinking too.  The scroll work is very tight and it looks professional.  I agree on the letters...they can definitely be a pain!  Great job!
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for looking and commenting Jason.

I have been pushing my meager scroll saw skills for me to another level. 
I like doing these but they can be a pain in the butt for sure.
I got some other projects in the wings that do not have vein cuts nor letters YEA... but they still push you to follow the pattern to get precise cuts....

Reply with quote  #11 
Ed, that Mustang looks real good, well done Sir!

I'm with you, the original "Steve McQueen" Mustang shape was the sexiest ever (remember him in the streets of San Francisco in "Bullit"?) The first of the action films I believe, and still one of the best ever IMO. Digression, sorry.

Like you, I HATE cutting letters on the scroll saw - particularly when you get a word with the same letter repeated, or close by - any slight mistake shows up like a bull dog's whatsits! But you've done a great job of the whole thing, including the lettering. Respect Sir, well done.

AES 

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #12 
AES

Thanks for the kind remarks.
I always like "Steve Mcqueen"

Alot of the movies now days suck big time.
Letters are just tedious period lol
I have a couple more patterns i'm gonna do here soon, they have lots twists and turns an may e a vein cut or 2 but otherwise should be fairly stright foward lol

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed357sw
AES Thanks for the kind remarks. I always like "Steve Mcqueen" Alot of the movies now days suck big time. Letters are just tedious period lol I have a couple more patterns i'm gonna do here soon, they have lots twists and turns an may e a vein cut or 2 but otherwise should be fairly stright foward lol

You want to try carving them, mind you I prefer to carve letters rather than scroll them

Reply with quote  #14 
Derek,

My carving skills are very small compared to me cutting the letters on the scroll saw.

If I tried to carve them it would look like I took a butcher knife to the wood LOL

My favorite way when i'm really lazy is to take the item down to my local wood craft shop and let them laser in a really nice font. Then I can fill that in with a nice acrylic to make a clean finished product.

But alas that cost money and a lot of times I give my stuff away to family and or friends so I don't make any real money at this at all LOL

Reply with quote  #15 
I too get Steves projects. I really like the Mustang it looks really great. Question, I am still new to the scrollsaw and was wondering what blades you used for the letters. I can never get them to turn out as nice as yours.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.