Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Wombat

Reply with quote  #1 
I met up with an old work-mate just before last Christmas.
While we were chatting away, the subject turned to the wooden sailing dinghy that I built a few years ago, and how he would dearly love something like that to row his grandkids around the dam on his property.    Before I knew it, his mouth had talked my hands into building him one.

After we narrowed down the choices to a 10ft Rowboat, plans and materials were ordered, arriving late Feb this year.  Little did I know what a godsend this project would turn out to be over the past few months of "captivity".
With only a short break to build a few Easter Egg ornaments, I have steadily turned the pile of materials into an almost completed boat.  Two and a half months have just slipped by. I have only left home to go shopping four times.

I have almost finished construction, and estimate that finish sanding and painting will occupy most of next month. I expect to build a launching dolly as well.

It has been a far more physical challenge than toy-making, but it has been enjoyable revisiting techniques (and finding muscles ) last used years ago.
I will post more pics when all is finished.

98F504F1-2042-40FC-A820-AF5406E2B39E.jpeg
3CD3AD54-73ED-4A07-8D05-1CB4A1246D98.jpeg 
  66C11E5E-35C5-4FEF-9ADA-3B70F50F1AF2.jpeg7A795FF8-8724-48C6-8786-286CF70B484B.jpeg  B088E423-6F2F-465D-82B7-5187E937CF02.jpeg  D2D16AFA-CBDD-4BA4-9D7E-599D7BAB1B24.jpeg 

When this is finished, I have a CNC Router to build and set up, THEN I can play catch-up with John's steady stream of new toy plans.

Wombat

TTT2014

Reply with quote  #2 
WOW that is very beautiful!!
Very wonderful photos, hope to see finished photos on it on the water soon.
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
I am a lifetime wood boat fan and this is really exciting to me. More! More!
Bourbon

Reply with quote  #4 
That is a beautiful Item. I'm always saying, you can never have enough clamps

Wombat

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks guys.
You are right about the clamps Bourbon.
Reviewing my tooling before I started, I decided to buy a few more to speed the process up, racing winter onset as it were.
The three orange ones - Craftright - were really cheap at my local Bunnings store, strong spring with a 4" jaw opening.
 Sadly, unless one has the handspan of a rather large gorilla, the handles are so wide they need both hands to work, making them  clumsy to use. ( You don't get what you don't pay for!)   Thankfully I only bought 3!
The Grey/Black ones - Trojan - cost a little more but work so much better. Bought these as I was unimpressed with the metal clamps ( with red plasti-coat handles) which only clamp on a single line contact and thus allow slip. - Epoxy goes off slow then sets rock-hard, you do NOT want to come out next morning and find a crooked part.

Yesterday, working on both sides of the boat, I used 40 clamps, leaving only  two small 1" C-clamps and a pair of 4' sash clamps in the shed.
Perhaps I need some more, just in case??
Martin L

Reply with quote  #6 
So true Wombat one can never have enough clamps. I to went to Bunnings to buy some more Trojan spring clamps (but you must of cleaned them out at Taylors Lakes).  They are a very good one and I needed more of them, but need is the way to think of doing the job.
Martin L

Reply with quote  #7 
By the way like the boat build

Wombat

Reply with quote  #8 
Not me clearing out your store Martin, far eastern suburbs for me.
Martin L

Reply with quote  #9 
Ha ha ha ha worth a try.
Wombat

Reply with quote  #10 
Construction now completed and two coats of epoxy resin applied.  11 weeks just slipped by.
 Now for hours of  hard sanding in awkward poses before painting.  Things we do!

FEF6D932-D679-4A13-A922-403DCF9D26D8.jpeg 

Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi WomBat
                That looks really great. After building this you can build any thing.

Cheers Raymond.
Martin L

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Wombat,
That looks really great, it reminds me of the kit sets that were made where I served my apprenticeship in N.Z. many moons ago as well as fibreglass boats from 15 ft. run abouts to 25 ft cruisers.  I still like the wooden boats they seem more real than the fibreglass ones.
Wombat

Reply with quote  #13 
Project completion update
 I topped off 185 hours construction spread over 11 weeks with a further 65 hours of sanding and painting spread over another 9 weeks.
Epoxy coatings cure to a very hard orange-peel finish and must be sanded back smooth if any semblance of a good finish is required. Given the multi-curved surfaces, this is best done by hand. It is hard on the back and arms.
 It was then coated with two coats of slightly easier to sand epoxy-based undercoat, sanded back again, then three coats of two-pack polyurethane hi-gloss were applied  with 600grit wet sanding in between. Due to the onset of winter, this all had to be done in the enclosed garage, with a heater on from dusk to midnight to ensure proper curing of the paint.

These two-pack finishes allow the boat to be left permanently moored on the lake for years, unlike normal oil-based enamels which are only suitable for boats that live on trailers or belong to owners who don't mind stripping and repainting every year.  

The project consumed a total of $A500 worth of epoxy and $A500 worth of paints.
It will NOT leak or rot.

I must confess to be looking forward to getting back to the relative simplicity of wooden toy making.

Sadly, a week before I would have been able to deliver it to my client, a second wave of Covid-19 has locked us down again for at least another six weeks.  Upside is I get six more weeks to look at and admire it.

Some photos of completed boat follow.66933431-9079-49F9-9516-AE1C8A440E6F.jpeg 
F938D212-5361-4BC6-85A5-19BA05A2D797.jpeg  9F3DBA39-89D6-4083-84F8-8E6B99034F7B.jpeg  E4A1278D-1FD5-45D1-AA9F-39CC51570047.jpegD6DA40BA-85D7-441F-B86F-0BEDF43F2C11.jpeg  C454EC8B-2D68-42A3-B722-BD3199A2092D.jpeg 

Martin L

Reply with quote  #14 
Hi Wombat,  That is looking great when is the official launching taking place?  Is there a bottle of champers ready for the launch?  Don't smash it over the bow open it properly and have a swig.
Bucko

Reply with quote  #15 
Fantastic and I can appreciate the time and patience to build 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.