Author   Comment  
DavidH3191

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi there.
I'm about to start on horse numbers 6 and 7 (grandkids!).

Getting the mental wheels turning, I thought I would share with you a construction mod I use...

In the first few I made the biggest amount of fiddling was getting the 4 legs all aligned and glued on to both the body pieces and the foot mounting plates between rocker rails.

The mod I use is to insert a wooden dowel through the four body pieces at the pivot point of front legs and back legs (one dowel in each location). I could then easily adjust them in one rotation axis to fit the foot mount plate.

It is also very useful to have these dowels through the 4 body pieces when a) doing shaping on them and b) when gluing.

I hope this is useful.

Rgds
.... David
Gippy

Reply with quote  #2 
Sounds like a good idea. I recently finished my first horse and the leg glue ups seemed harder than they could be. Got any pictures? How do you decide where to drill for the dowel and match up the hole in the legs correctly?
DavidH3191

Reply with quote  #3 
G’day Gippy,

Basically it is my imagines location of where horse’s “hip bone ball/socket” is located .
I’ll get you a picture of the spot I use, marked on the plans/templates.
Rgds,
..David
DavidH3191

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Gippy,
I have attached pic of my templates of body and legs with the "Target" location I use for the hip pin points for back and front legs..

BTW: although the original motivation was to just make the attachment of the legs easier, I subsequently found other construction advantages of "removable pins" before gluing parts together :-

1. pin the 2x centre body parts together to do final shape sanding
2. pin the 2x outside body parts and ditto above
3. pin all the body together and ditto above

4. same as above for the legs (see below on leg hole depth)

For the construction steps above I use approx 6 inch pins for ease of use (getting grip to remove!).

Immediatly prior to assembling body....
Cut the two "hip pins" back so length is equal to {thickness of 4x body parts plus 2x half thickness of the legs}.
The leg holes do not go right through - select which is the external face of the leg and drill three-quarters thru from other side, leaving clean face on outside of leg.

Place the hip pin in one of the outside body - It does not need gluing - use as guide to add the other bodyparts, with glue between, one at a time until the 4x are together. 
Clamp.
Centre the hip pin - do not glue.

When glue has set properly attach the legs to hip pins and pivot so they match locations on the rocker base pad.

Pin and glue ( I must admit I always seem to do some final trimming at this point!!)
😉

Over next week or so I should get to these stages so will try to take some pics for this Chat.

Rgds,
..David

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20180922_114519.jpg, Views: 28, Size: 670.03 KB 

Gippy

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the post David, it looks like you are making the Heirloom horse now? I built that one a couple of months ago. As I was going to paint I did use screws to hold the body pieces together during shaping and glue-up. Once the glue was dry I removed the screws and replaced with a dowel pin. I think your idea of pinning part way through the legs is excellent and should make the glue up of body to rockers much easier.
Did you make a hybrid template of the 2 main body parts? 
DavidH3191

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Gippy.
Yes it seems like we have similar approaches. :)
I've only painted one - prefer the natural look of just bees wax.

It's been a productive day, today. Here's a couple more pics.
Btw the material I've used here is 3/4" finger jointed pine sheet

Rgds
... David

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20180923_143254.jpg, Views: 32, Size: 2.21 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20180923_151038.jpg, Views: 31, Size: 2.27 MB 

BearsDad

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi David,
Brand new here (literally registered just a few minutes ago) and Ive found your post very interesting. I've just finished my first project (an antique 1890 rocking horse) and have to agree, positioning the legs on the body and rocker cross rails is annoyingly tricky, so your mod makes perfect sense. I currently have horses 2 and 3 on the bench almost ready for assembly so Im now thinking I'll modify my patterns to include positioning dowel hole!
Nice work by the way, I love the natural look but as mine was a first attempt I opted for the painted option!
Chris

By the way.... "BearsDad" refers to my 12 month old St Bernard puppy!!!!!!
DavidH3191

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Chris
(And Hi the your pup (Bear?) - he looks a BIG bundle of fun!!! :) )
Welcome !!
Although I’ve been making toys from here for a few years, I too only joined recently - maybe 2 months back.
Some great insights from the people here! :)
Rgds,
...David
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.