Keenedge
Hi all
I was looking for a how to make my own Axle Pegs and came across this site which has some great ideas on a wide range of things and was wondering if anyone has a how-to-do tip for making them, or a jig of some kind to make them.

mad irish man
Keenedge wrote:
Hi all
I was looking for a how to make my own Axle Pegs and came across this site which has some great ideas on a wide range of things and was wondering if anyone has a how-to-do tip for making them, or a jig of some kind to make them.

mad irish man
I am in the process of making a small miniature lathe for making unique items for the craft industry if it works out okay it will be available to all members. We currently have a small lathe to make wheels for our craft club of any size from 15 mill railway wheels to 3 inch truck wheels and beyond
john lewman
Could you post photos and tellus more about it?
wooden fish
Read with interest the post about using plastic straws in axle hole for a smoother turning wheel.  This is a super idea.  Tried it, it works great.  However, many cities and states are outlawing plastic straws.  You might want to gather a supply.  Dunlin straws work good.

wooden fish
Doc
On my lathe I have dowel inserted into the chuck (actually right through it) with a known length sticking out presented to the chisel (according to what size/length peg I want).

At the other end is a plug cutter.

This is advanced into the dowel to create the correct axle peg thickness.

Once done, the axle is cut from the dowel with as big a 'head' as you desire.

Not near my workshop at the moment or I would post pics.

If you can visualize all that, then you could probably do something similar with a drill press - like a the but on it's side.

Doc from Australia
Regards
Doc