Author   Comment  
Keenedge

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all
I was looking for a how to make my own Axle Pegs and came across this site which has some great ideas on a wide range of things and was wondering if anyone has a how-to-do tip for making them, or a jig of some kind to make them.

mad irish man

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenedge
Hi all
I was looking for a how to make my own Axle Pegs and came across this site which has some great ideas on a wide range of things and was wondering if anyone has a how-to-do tip for making them, or a jig of some kind to make them.

mad irish man

Reply with quote  #3 
I am in the process of making a small miniature lathe for making unique items for the craft industry if it works out okay it will be available to all members. We currently have a small lathe to make wheels for our craft club of any size from 15 mill railway wheels to 3 inch truck wheels and beyond
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Could you post photos and tellus more about it?
wooden fish

Reply with quote  #5 
Read with interest the post about using plastic straws in axle hole for a smoother turning wheel.  This is a super idea.  Tried it, it works great.  However, many cities and states are outlawing plastic straws.  You might want to gather a supply.  Dunlin straws work good.

wooden fish
Doc

Reply with quote  #6 
On my lathe I have dowel inserted into the chuck (actually right through it) with a known length sticking out presented to the chisel (according to what size/length peg I want).

At the other end is a plug cutter.

This is advanced into the dowel to create the correct axle peg thickness.

Once done, the axle is cut from the dowel with as big a 'head' as you desire.

Not near my workshop at the moment or I would post pics.

If you can visualize all that, then you could probably do something similar with a drill press - like a the but on it's side.

Doc from Australia

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.