Colin
I built this truck for my grandson using 1/4” dowels for the axles. So far two of the axles have broken. Should I have used larger axles or is this inevitable with a toy that is actively played with? Click image for larger version - Name: C733AC1D-C8B5-40D7-99EF-2CFE56639020.jpeg, Views: 19, Size: 2.47 MB
BadBob
Are you using hardwood dowels?

My local big box stores have mostly pine dowels. Pine dowels are easier to break than hardwood dowels.
Trav
Dowel breakage is usually a fear of mine when building toys. My kids snapped the 1/4 inch dowels on the super mack dump truck that hold the bed to the chassis but that's because my daughter was riding it around so there was a lot of weight on it. They're not allowed to do that any more. [rolleyes]
BadBob makes a good point. You have to be careful not to get softwood dowels. When I first started making toys I came across cheap dowels in a dollar store. On closer inspection at home, they were softwood and really only good for arts and crafts.

Nice truck by the way 😉
BadBob
My grandson has never broken an axle. Not even the small 1/8-inch axle pegs that come with the 1-1/2-inch spoked wheels. He did manage to get an axle peg out once. 

If the dowels you are using are not softwood you might consider drilling out the wheel center and using a larger dowel.

Colin
Thanks so much. I’m sure that’s the problem. I just grabbed a dowel from Home Depot. Only checked the size, never looked at the type of wood.
adeafguy
I have 3 great grand sons who under school age, they are rough on toys with axels.  I usually go with bigger hard wood dowels and redrill the holes in ready made wheels.  But, they will learn.  This year, I repaired axels on 3 vehicles.  I guess "love" is part of the job.  
Bill Kirchner
Thumper
Home depot sells hardwood dowels, thats what i use.
griff2379
Hi All
Agree with bad bob and up the axle size. I dropped 6mm/1/4inch ages ago.
Griff
kberry1947
I generally use 3/8" dowels for axles.

Check out the company TMP recommends for wheels.  They sell hardwood dowels.
Colin
Thanks to all for your help. I picked up some 3/8 oak dowel today.