Author   Comment  
Colin

Reply with quote  #1 
I built this truck for my grandson using 1/4” dowels for the axles. So far two of the axles have broken. Should I have used larger axles or is this inevitable with a toy that is actively played with?

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: C733AC1D-C8B5-40D7-99EF-2CFE56639020.jpeg, Views: 21, Size: 2.47 MB 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
Are you using hardwood dowels?

My local big box stores have mostly pine dowels. Pine dowels are easier to break than hardwood dowels.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Trav

Reply with quote  #3 
Dowel breakage is usually a fear of mine when building toys. My kids snapped the 1/4 inch dowels on the super mack dump truck that hold the bed to the chassis but that's because my daughter was riding it around so there was a lot of weight on it. They're not allowed to do that any more. [rolleyes]
BadBob makes a good point. You have to be careful not to get softwood dowels. When I first started making toys I came across cheap dowels in a dollar store. On closer inspection at home, they were softwood and really only good for arts and crafts.

Nice truck by the way 😉
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
My grandson has never broken an axle. Not even the small 1/8-inch axle pegs that come with the 1-1/2-inch spoked wheels. He did manage to get an axle peg out once. 

If the dowels you are using are not softwood you might consider drilling out the wheel center and using a larger dowel.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Colin

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks so much. I’m sure that’s the problem. I just grabbed a dowel from Home Depot. Only checked the size, never looked at the type of wood.
adeafguy

Reply with quote  #6 
I have 3 great grand sons who under school age, they are rough on toys with axels.  I usually go with bigger hard wood dowels and redrill the holes in ready made wheels.  But, they will learn.  This year, I repaired axels on 3 vehicles.  I guess "love" is part of the job.  

Reply with quote  #7 
Home depot sells hardwood dowels, thats what i use.
griff2379

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi All
Agree with bad bob and up the axle size. I dropped 6mm/1/4inch ages ago.
Griff
kberry1947

Reply with quote  #9 
I generally use 3/8" dowels for axles.

Check out the company TMP recommends for wheels.  They sell hardwood dowels.
Colin

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks to all for your help. I picked up some 3/8 oak dowel today.
1948CaseVAI

Reply with quote  #11 
Oak dowel is not very expensive but it tends to be straighter and tougher to break.  I get 36 inch by 1/4 inch for about $1.25 at Lowes.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #12 
You have to be very careful buying dowels in the big box stores. They are now selling dowels made out of pine. This is not suitable for axles.

You can get 1/4x36 inch dowels from craft parts. 10 for $4 cheaper if you buy more. If you are going to make toys you going to need a lot of these.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

JvD

Reply with quote  #13 
having a lot of problems with pegs and axels, i switch to alu pipe 6 x 4 mm. in the first place, the friction between the pipe
and the toy is less. To fit the wheels to axes, on one side i use a expanding glue, the other side during final fitting and M6 washers, a loctite super glue. There is a small round hole on the both ends, that will be covered with a plastic cap. this cap is the same as the caps you use to cover up screw heads. They come in almost every color. the axel holes in the toys are 7 mm.
kenneth smith

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #14 
Great tips guys.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.