Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a lot of plans and I don't want to loose any of them. The firsthing I do after downloading a new plan is upload it to Google Drive. Not only do I now have a backup offsite but I can access it from any computer I happen to be using. Even from my phone.

I also sync the plans to two other locations automatically. With in minutes of downloading a new plan I have it stasedin three places.

I also run backups to other hardrives so eventually I have eight copies. I do the same thing for photos and other important documents.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi BadBob,

I couldn't agree more. We backup with Google Drive too! And the best part is Google gives you 15 GB of free storage. Most folks will never need more than 15 GB ever. All you have to do is create a free Gmail email account. 

Because we at ToymakingPlans.com need to back up large files every day we use a paid plan: Google G Suite comes with unlimited Google Drive storage. For $10 a month you get a custom email address with your domain name (John and I each have our own account with our own business email address) and it includes unlimited Google Drive storage. For $5 a month you'll get 30 GB of storage.

Your suggestion is so great for anyone who downloads PDF plans! Thanks for the great tip.

Cynthia
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
I got into Google drive when it was in test and by invitation only.  I'm on the 30GB plan and as an early adopter and only pay five dollars a year. I've only used 15GB of the 30.

I have both of my domains are hosted by Google, and I have Google Music and YouTube Red Family plan.

I also use free versions of  MegaSync and Dropbox.

If you don't have it off-site isn't backed up. 

I scan all of the cards in my wallet, passport, and many other important documents. I lost my wallet a few years ago. It was simple to get replacements cards when I had copies.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Frankg

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the idea. I have a portable local drive I use but having it on the cloud is an excellent safety feature.

Reply with quote  #5 
I would also suggest that you encrypt your backups. 
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #6 
As said in another post, I'm more than a bit of a PC klutz! Sorry, but I hate the idea of entrusting my important stuff (and that includes my plans) to "somebody else", especially if I can't ever "see" them!

I have 2 separate external hard drives, one of which is by Sony, and apparently could be "kicked down stairs" without data loss (though I have NOT tested that claim)!! Every thing important to me is backed up on to both of those once a month (I don't use my PC all that much now I'm retired).

One of the drives is kept in the office with the PC (so theoretically could suffer loss from fire, flood, etc - think of all those poor people in Malibu), but the other drive is kept in another room in a pretty strong fire-proof safe that would need a pretty hefty crew of strong men to move it (my father in law had it in his garage business before he died).

So I THINK I've covered myself from just about all eventualities, and WITHOUT reliance on any company who COULD go bankrupt, get taken over, or decide to treble their charges, or WHY, tomorrow. I'm not suggesting any of that will happen with Google, but IMO, it COULD!

Perhaps I'm a Luddite (no doubt AM a Luddite!) but I think I'm OK. 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
If you backup to Google or any othe cloud based service you can see it any time you want baring internet failure of course. The main point is that it is in multiple places and offsite.

Fire proof safes don't burn. However, in a full blown house fire it will get hot enough to cook everything in your safe. Your safe will still be there but the inside will be chared remains. They have insulation that slows down the heat but does not stop it.

I've done disaster recovery work professionally for about 20 years.

If your backup isn't off site you don't have a backup.

One is none and two is one. Backups fail. Harddrives and other media fails if you only have one backup and it fails your done. If you have two and both are in the same building odds are pretty good that if one is destroyed (fire etc) the other will be too.

Computers fail. I don't reboot, upgrade, update or patch without running a backup. If I do a lot of work, photo editing for example I backup before I stop for the day.

I test my harddrives everytime I backup. I had the misfortune of discovering that the hard drive I was backing up to had a corrupt filesystem. I was able to recover but it was a long stressful process.

If you have not tested (restored from your backup) you don't have a backup.

If you don't trust cloud based storage thats fine but, like it or not much of your most sensitive information is stored this way.

I'm off my soapbox.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #8 
OK BadBob, your "soapbox" is appreciated actually. I must say that I've never tried to do a full start from either of my back up external drives (I must try that) but have recovered single documents from my back up drives without problems on more than one occasion.

Anyway, I do take your point, but frankly, I think if I suffered a fire that destroyed the contents inside my safe, the loss of documents would be one of the LEAST of my problems!!!

It's just that I don't like the idea of "someone" not under my direct control having control of my docs, and have seen several instances of people loosing whole picture collections, etc, because external digital hosting services have changed their charging practices - etc, etc.

Just not my thing then, but I do see your point. 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
I was not suggesting that you only store them in the cloud.

If my house burned and I lost all of my photos that would be a tragedy for me. They are not replaceable. I will always store photos in the cloud in multiple locations.

I was also using Flicker for photos, and they got sold to a company that only lets me store 1000 photos without paying. So they are out as far as I am concerned. So there is some risk involved in using cloud storage. You mitigate the risk by spreading it around. For example, I have the original photos in the memory card in my camera. When it gets full, I will insert a new memory card and keep the old one. Photos are stored currently in eight locations. I use only enterprise-grade hard drives for backups. The same hard drives used for cloud storage. They cost a bit more, but they usually last until I run out of space.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #10 
OK, fair enough BadBob, understood.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.