Author   Comment  
Hawaiilad AKA: Larry

Reply with quote  #1 
Not sure if I have placed this post in the proper area, sorry if it's wrong.  I have been using the mineral oil/beeswax finish and really like it, but I wanted to ask if anyone had tried using stain on the wood first and then added the wipe on finish.  We don't always have the right color wood on hand and I was thinking of using some stain.  I would be interested in hearing how it worked for your project.
Doc

Reply with quote  #2 
G'day Larry. I have used stains on my toys successfully - simply follow the directions on the can/tin/bottle/cup (??) especially regarding any special requirements about the final finish (some don't like water-based stuff, others may not like oil based stuff).

I have also used water based dyes with good result - it imparts a subtle colour but still allows the timber grain to show through, which I think is why people like wooden toys in the first place [wink]

Something else that may be useful - Shellac. Mix yourself or buy pre mixed depending where you live. Not a stain as such but imparts a lovely hue to light coloured timbers such as pine.

All of these have at least one thing in common - sand smooth and wipe away dust before using. I usually use about 180-200 grit but stains don't add any 'finish' as such so if the timber is rough, it will remain rough - just be a different colour.

Shellac actually is a finish in its own right and can be coloured.

Hope this helps [thumb]

Reply with quote  #3 
Larry
Recently I just posted "Staining Wheels 101 - Old School Way with New Products" in the "How-to-Do's Tips & Tricks". It will show you some results when using two (2) colours of a wipe-on stain. It might help you visualize the results. Doc is absolutely correct when he says sand and wipe before using. This stain does not include any finishing agents but recommends a next step for that. The labeling is misleading, it says "Wiping Stain & Finish". Not true, it is a stain only and the back of the tube defines the recommended products to finish it. Take a look for yourself and you be the judge whether this method/product type is satisfactory for you. It also does briefly suggest that stains can be used successfully for changing the colours of various parts of an assembly.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.