You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Bargain Basement $3 Wood Toy Plans (Reg. $4.95-$19.95)! Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Author   Comment  
kstano83

Reply with quote  #1 
What version of Titebond glue would you recommend me as the best one for toys?
After reading this: https://www.fine-tools.com/titebond.html I´m thinking about going with the translucent type but I´m open to other suggestions.
Lexie

Reply with quote  #2 
I am new to crafting wood toys and such. I picked Titebond 2 for making my toys that are played with in the water or outdoors. I make sailboats (puddle boats) and am making some rubber band paddle boats. While probably ALL the wood glues resist water when dry, i chose Titebond 2 because it says it is good for exterior use and is waterproof/resistant.

I will probably use that same glue for any general wood project until i run out of the bottle. Then i will pick up some of the Titebond Translucent wood glue to try out for interior use items.
Home Depot sells it in a case of 12 which i have no intention of spending $41 for a case of glue.
If it is not sold in a regular single bottle purchase i will then just  stay with Titebond 1 or 2. which is easily picked up at any store for a low price.

Oh BTW Titebond 2 sets in 1 hour so it says, and the Translucent says FAST setting so keep that in mind if you think you may need 5-10 minutes to set your clamps and verify alignment compared to having 1 minute to set clamps and check alignment.

This was my first wood toy i ever made, my current puddle boats have brightly colored sails and i changed the rope/sail tie down slightly.
email small lexie boat.jpg 

craigrozema

Reply with quote  #3 
titebond III is food safe and non toxic
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
It depends on what I am gluing. For most things, I use TiteBond II. I also like for those times when I need it to set fast. I use Titebond No-Run, No-Drip Wood Glue. If I want it clear I use Aleenes Original Tacky Glue or even plain old Elmers. For a solid bond or if you need to fill gaps epoxy is what you need.

I don't use cyanoacrylate glues very often. I don't think the bond is strong enough on wood. Plus the good ones are expensive.

I never use any urethane glues. Too messy for me.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rod T

Reply with quote  #5 
I have used TiteBond 1, 2 & 3. Mainly TiteBond 1
I use cyanoacrylate glue (or Super Glue and commonly known here) as an extra means to stop slippage on tricky parts that are hard to hold in place when clamping. 
So just a few drops of this along with Titebond. The Super glue is only there to hold in position while clamping. The Titebond is for the bonding. 
Hope that makes sense. 

When gluing pre-purchased wheels onto axles, I have had a lot of problems with the bond breaking. If the wheel and axle are not a tight fit (The holes and axles vary all the time), then the wheels can sometimes easily twist off. I got to the point where I was testing every wheel. If one twisted off, then I put that car aside to re-glue. Most of the time re-gluing would fix this.

I have recently come across TiteBond Quick N Thick glue and have tried this on the wheels with great success. Haven't had one twist off yet. I haven't tried this glue on anything else as yet.

As BadBob said with Urethane Glue... too messy.

Cheers
Rod T

kstano83

Reply with quote  #6 
So far I have only been making puzzles or small one-piece animals and except for some "give it a try" dinosaurs where I used any wood glue I found available, I´ve never given wood glue any special attention. I think any wood glue says it´s stronger than wood. I´m just curious if there is any benefit in using  water/weather resistant glue.  Our sons sometimes take a bath with puzzles I make. Could playing in water lets say once a week have some affect on the glue over time?  
If not, is it really only up to me to find glue that I find the best to work with?
What does it mean if glue ''cleans up with water''?

Lexie

Reply with quote  #7 
KSTANO-
Short term play in a tub should be ok.
Long term like someone leaving a wooden toy boat floating in their swimming pool for the entire summer will probably trash the toy in one season. If painted the paint may fade, joints start to separate, wood can even start to split. I bet however the water proof glue that holds the toy together will be just fine, it is the wood that will be in rough condition not the glue.

"Cleans up with water"| Means it is water based not oil/solvent based and when applying wet you can wash off or remove the glue with water, not so after it dries it will not be able to wash off, you will have to sand or scrape it off.  Super glues, epoxy, etc "will not clean up with water", when applying it, only solvents can be used to clean it off.

Wood is porous, it expands when wet, contracts when drying, you will notice especially on soft woods how the grain raises and gets rough when it drys out after being exposed to water. Wood also reacts to sun and cold, which is why you see wooden patio furniture or planters split and crack over time due to exposure.

I use waterproof wood glues (water based) because i make toy boats. Kind of a no brainer for me to buy a bottle of glue that says water proof instead of one that simply does not say. Price is just a few penny's difference.
Martin L

Reply with quote  #8 
I have been using TiteBond 3 for sometime now on all my toys and projects and have found that it is a great glue.  I did use TiteBond 2 until I had to make some outdoor play toys and I tried Titebond 3 with great success so much so I had a customer tell me that the hammer and peg toy I made for her daughter survived a swim in their swimming pool with no damage at all.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us