Author   Comment  
siemensj

Reply with quote  #1 
Just wondering what is the best book on how to make toys? I am not looking for a book with a lot of plans, there is plenty of that here. What I am looking for is step by step tips and instructions on Toymaking. Any suggestions are appreciated.
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi siemensj,

Welcome to the Forum! You ask an excellent question. My husband and business partner, John were discussing this very topic today. That is specifically the need to put together videos and PDFs on getting started with toymaking. This is something we intend to start focusing on and your forum question has made us realize even more how important this information is to our community of toymakers.

Here's what I would suggest in the meantime. We have a lot of fantastic content here on Udie's Toymaker Forum that might be just what you're looking for.

One of the best ways to get some guidance and help is to post a specific question you have in the Forum. Udie, the Forum Moderator and the other forum members are very helpful. If you have a specific toy in mind you'd like to build you can also mention the toy name and ask questions such as, "What type of tools and skills would I need to build this toy?" and "What type of wood do you recommend?" or maybe you have some specific tools in your shop that you're comfortable working with and would like to know what toys would be best suited for those tools.

Many of our toy patterns use the scroll saw. It can be an important tool when building toys. It's suggested you take a look at the posts in the section of the Forum titled, Scroll Saw Questions & Answers: http://forums.toymakingplans.com/?forum=356815. Just digging around in the forum in general will also help to orient yourself to the topic of toymaking.

In addition to the Forum we also have a section on our website the Wood Toy Workshop: http://www.toymakingplans.com/website/how-to/index.html. This section contains lots of how-to videos. They're in no particular order but do address different topics. A good intro video on toy finishing would be to watch a video I made on How To Make Cynthia's Non-Toxic Bees Wax Wood Toy Finish. If you're just starting in toymaking this is an excellent and very popular way to finish your toys naturally. Then as you become more comfortable with building and assembling toys you can start exploring how-to's on painting and finishing. There's also a lot of excellent painting toys info in the Painting Tips & Techniques section of the forum: http://forums.toymakingplans.com/?forum=380378.

Another section on our website is the Wood Toy News: http://www.toymakingplans.com/website/News/Wood-Toy-News.html. If you subscribe to our email list, you'll receive a new Wood Toy News issue about once a week. Udie is often featured in our Wood Toy News. He's always experimenting with new painting and building techniques. You might want to scroll through the Wood Toy News section and read some of the back issues.

So please, feel free to ask ANY questions! We have lots of experts that can help and I know lots of folks just getting started in toymaking will also benefit greatly from the discussions your questions will generate. And while you're at it, you might want to introduce yourself to the forum in the Introduce Yourself section: http://forums.toymakingplans.com/?forum=330019. You can tell us something about yourself (where you live) and your experience with woodworking. It's a great way to get a conversation started!

Cynthia
siemensj

Reply with quote  #3 
Cynthia

Thank you so much for your detailed and helpful response.

I have been helped a fair amount on this forum already and am finding all the members very quick to respond which has been a blessing.

I have been building custom Bunk Beds for the past 3 years and have been looking for something to do when the orders are slow. I think building toys might be something I could really enjoy doing together with my children.

I will keep poking around on the forum and asking questions as they come and maybe someday even having some answers to give other toy making newbies in a few years.

I also like to a have a good hardcover reference book on Toymaking to turn back to again and again. Are there any good books like that that you would recommend?
Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
siemensj
   As Cynthia pointed out in her reply post, there is a lot to be learned from the various sections and topics posted on this Forum as well as the articles and videos currently available.
   To recommend a specific book is not an easy task. There is no one book that covers it all.
   Over the years I have accumulated and passed on many books and magazines to friends who wished to become active in wood working and specifically toy making. This is pre-internet days. Older books show the use of hand tools and todays books pretty much mimic the same steps but with todays tools which are more economically priced so that today's woodworkers can afford them.
   Not knowing the tools you currently have, your budget, your interests in which toys you would like to build, your current skill set, my only suggestion would be to visit you local library and larger libraries which are available to you and see what they have. That would be the first hands-on source.
   New and used book stores would be another source of information where a hands-on review of the material is available in either book form or magazines.
   For a non-hands-on source, that would be today's internet. Many sites list and show book titles available on the subject and some do show excerpts of the book to help you make a decision whether you wish to purchase the book or not.
   You can ask your local book store for any book title you find on the internet and maybe they have it in stock and it can be delivered to the store for your review. Might even save you some money doing it that way - eliminate the shipping costs to you.
   That is about the best I can do for you at this time.
In the interim ask as many questions as you wish and we, ToymakingPlans.com, myself and our members from around the globe will be glad to help you as best as we can.
siemensj

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Udi
I am very thankful for all the help that I get here at the forum.
I will check my local library.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.