Author   Comment  
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #1 
Just finished this one for grandson Aaron, who decided he didn't want it painted, I might have been more careful with wood choices if I'd known that! I used all sorts of scrap pine, but it turned out OK anyway, I think.
Thanks, John, for this wonderful plan set.
You might notice a couple of mods, done to cover up my mistakes!

The Big Easy Triple Truck Fleet

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: D75_3728.jpg, Views: 88, Size: 651.15 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_3729.jpg, Views: 74, Size: 515.47 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_3730.jpg, Views: 74, Size: 514.81 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: D75_3731.jpg, Views: 71, Size: 457.92 KB 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hats off to Tom! This is a real beauty. I love the wood grains that you have so skillfully articulated. And your photo booth setup is pro. How did you achieve such an interesting look with the background?
Iggy

Reply with quote  #3 
Lovely work John. 
                          I am sure he will love it to death and was right not to have it painted, it is just fine as is. anyway, if you did paint it, he would only try to chip it off. What you have done there is timeless. He will appreciate it for many years to come, well done. My daughter used to teach at the Primary School on Grange Road St Ann's. Keep on Scrollin.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks so much John. The back ground in the pictures is a cheap studio backdrop I bought on Amazon, rolled onto a 1 inch dowel and held in a couple of wooden brackets I made up. I drape the backdrop over a folding workbench, usually with a board on top for extra width. Light is sidelight from the window, sometimes balanced by a large circular reflector. This whole setup is in a small spare bedroom I use as an office/study and was originally intended for macro photography, which I rarely seem to have time for, since I found your plan service!!
Attached are a few pictures of my "office", so you can see the setup. D75_1695.jpg  D75_3444.jpg  D75_3456.jpg 

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Tom. There are some very useful ideas here. Your office is really cool. I see some playpals, a mini VW and two fascinating boats. I studied yacht design for awhile in the 1960's and had the good fortune to do some styling studies for Mark Twain Marine. They manufactured fiberglass speed boats for several  years.

I have been considering making some floating boat plan sets. Any thoughts you have on that would be really helpful to us.
SlemishNI

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
I have been considering making some floating boat plan sets.

+1 for boat plans :-)
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman
Thanks Tom. There are some very useful ideas here. Your office is really cool. I see some playpals, a mini VW and two fascinating boats. I studied yacht design for awhile in the 1960's and had the good fortune to do some styling studies for Mark Twain Marine. They manufactured fiberglass speed boats for several  years.

I have been considering making some floating boat plan sets. Any thoughts you have on that would be really helpful to us.

Hi John, thanks for the kind words, yes, there are  a couple of Playpals and a VW Cabriolet that I made for myself! Just like them in nice wood, rather than the painted ones the grandchildren generally prefer.
The boats are both gift shop purchases, the fishing boat I bought myself and the sailboat was a present.
As far as floating boat plans go, I had a look at your current range and see an opening for a sailing boat or two! I'm talking proper fabric sails, but, perhaps, a simple hull design with thin ply skins on bulkheads, a style I once built as a teenager.
In addition to that, how about an electric powered cabin cruiser that could be adapted for R/C? Again, a simple hard chine hull could work well. There are lots of relatively cheap electric motors and batteries available, so it need not be an expensive model to build.
I had a bit of a search today and there don't seem to be many plans like this about, just lots of quite expensive kits (or cheap plastic toys).
Not sure if that's what you had in mind, just some of my thoughts!

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Tom, love your truck and your studio photos.... I use a Amazon Basics photobox and I can use different backgrounds if I want to...I too have made this truck but not the trailers....yet.lol....Brilliant work....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.