Author   Comment  
Doc

Reply with quote  #1 
Or maybe it's just 'plane' sailing.

Here's a big ride on biplane made for around four year olds for outdoor use.

biplane.jpg 

The wings, seat, prop and undercarriage holder are all from 19mm plantation pine.

The wing struts are from 12.5mm dowel of some origin unknown to me but not an endangered species,

Fuselage is cut from 35mm thick pine or two laminated 19mm pieces depending on availability.

The rubber tyred, PVC plastic 100mm wheels for outside use are attached via coach bolts drilled through into 25mm dowel axle and the tail wheely thing at the rear is a furniture swivelling castor.

The finish is a clear estapol gloss - several coats, lightly sanded between coats.

I have sold many of these also with 100mm wooden wheels for indoor use only.

The prop spins and the wing span is approx 1 metre.

It is also available with rockers for a rocking plane.

Tools used include table mounted template router, bandsaw, scroll saw, drill press, belt/disc sander and a coffee percolator.

Feel free to ask any questions [thumb]

Regards

Doc

Reply with quote  #2 
Doc
What kid can say no to this plane, I would have loved to see their faces, nice job.
Udie
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #3 
Doc that is one heck of a plane, we have one like it and the grand rides it all of the time, the only problem is it is a plactic one and it has batteries and it is a real noise maker where if yours is to fly it takes the kids imagination to make this one fly. That is one fine job .... I hope the warm spell continues as then I will be in the work shop, when not fly fishing or gold panning or doing yard work.

Don
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Doc
Great job on the plane, and I love the photo work you did to present it.
Nice.

Doc

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks all.
Don, this comes with a real noise maker too, without batteries - usually in the form of a youngster sitting on it going "Vrrrmmmm, eeeaaahhhh" or however you spell the sound they make [wink]
Ken this is one of the larger, impressive-looking but not that difficult to make sort of toy. I had to get up in a hot air balloon to get the pic [biggrin]
Regards
Doc

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.