Author   Comment  
lesmen27

Reply with quote  #1 
Here you can see why I extended the boom with about 4 inches

150517_004.jpg 

chapmanrm

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice truck, I like the fuel tank and the wheels look segmented. I would like to see the front and rear, more pictures please.
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
lesmen27 - Outstanding, thanks for posting.
I see a few mods other than just extending the boom - by the way great idea.
The 5-piece gas tank assembly is a really unique and sharp look - good job for adding different colour to an assembly which will not be painted - I'll have to remember that and copy your creation.

Now lets talk about your wheels - those are also really unique - and I have a lot of question about them.
I see 3 different layers and am guessing there might be a 4th under the hub cap.
I'm really interested and I am sure our members/guests are too.
How about posting a separate post on how you made these incredible wheels.

Bucko

Reply with quote  #4 
Wow, very nice.
lesmen27

Reply with quote  #5 
i replaced the pictures, because it one with bad sharpness
ctowne

Reply with quote  #6 
Very nice, lots of questions about the wheels like the others said. 
Cindy
lesmen27

Reply with quote  #7 
here is a sketch of the build-up of the wheels without the hub-cap

wheel_brt copy.jpg

Dolf Joubert

Reply with quote  #8 
Wow! Great job! I am really impressed. The finish looks superb. I like the wheels and would like to know how you made them. It looks like a lot of fine precision work to me. I also have to make my own wheels and find it very challenging. Your's I would not even try to make.
Regards
Dolf
lesmen27

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf Joubert
Wow! Great job! I am really impressed. The finish looks superb. I like the wheels and would like to know how you made them. It looks like a lot of fine precision work to me. I also have to make my own wheels and find it very challenging. Your's I would not even try to make.
Regards
Dolf

Dolf,

Sorry that I do not gave you an answer. To be honest, I read your comment for the first time. It will be a long story to tell you how to make the wheels. After my running projects I will taken time and give you the instructions illustrated with photos how to make jigs and templates for the tablesaw, lathe and router.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #10 
Waiting patiently for the segmented wheel how to.

I know how to do this with larger things but no clue how to make them this small.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

rob41245

Reply with quote  #11 
DSC00163.jpg  DSC00165.jpg  DSC00160.jpg  DSC00099.jpg 
rob41245

Reply with quote  #12 
I completed the wrecker and in doing so I was thinking if I was to do another one, I'd use the cab and chassis plans from the giant truck series for the base. In building both I thought that the cab was stronger more representative of a large vehicle and also the fender work for the trucks were more substantial than using thinner pieces for trim. 

When next cold season comes around and the snow starts flying I'll combine the two plans and send some photos of my results.
I really enjoyed doing both projects and know that my great nephews will have a ball playing with them.

Thanks to all at Toymaking Plans for making the cold northeastern winter pass very enjoyably.
Rob
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #13 
This is a beautiful set. And the dump truck goes just right with the wrecker. I am in love with your dog! In 1949 my brother and I had a dog identical to yours that was named Tabby. She was a sweetheart. I se the dirt loader in the background. We would enjoy seeing that set up with the dump truck. This is excellent craftsmanship Rob.
rob41245

Reply with quote  #14 
Hi: Thanks so much. The most important member of our empty nest family is our 4 year old Sheltie. She is a sweetheart named Tessa. Unfortunately she had big paws to follow in as we had another Sheltie for 16 years which passed 4 years ago. 
Tessa is doing her best to fill the void and is succeeding quite  well. Two very different personalities (dogalities???) but both lovable and endearing. One couldn't ask for a better pet.

I am really eager to combine the two plans . I probably will have to change the dimensions of the winch . That'll be a challenge I'll look forward to next November . 

Again I can't say enough as to how this Toymaking Plans has helped me to recuperate from a very serious back fusion. (number 4 in five years) No heavy lifting and lots of accolades from all who see my results.

Thanks again
Rob

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks for sharing> I relate to the back problems and hope your recovery is complete. The custom features like the colorful paint schemes, front-mount spare and upgraded lights have added a lot of charm to your wood toy creations.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.