Author   Comment  
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #1 
Who else uses Birch for toys ?
I use it because it's Saskatchewan grown and reasonable priced (so far)
 Here's a $200 load I picked up on Monday. Needs a little planing but whats under there is worth it.

Birch.jpg  Here's a couple I planed the other day from the last batch

BirchPlanks.jpg 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
I love birch and use it when I can find it and/or afford it. Birch is an ideal wood for toys in my opinion. It machines well and takes stains and finishes in a beautiful way.
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #3 
I have bought about 2500 bd ft of white or paper birch in the last 2 yrs , I have built furniture , picture frames , drop tops for guitars , toys and outdoor items for the yard. The actual color and different grain patterns are amazing .
Curly , spalted , and some of the red and purple tones are amazing. I am fortunate in the prices I paid . But the other option is a specialty hardwood store and pay a premium.
Wombat

Reply with quote  #4 

Leftfinger, enjoy your good fortune!
To the best of my knowledge, Birch is not commercially grown in Australia for timber production. Some nurseries in the southern states grow them for ornamental use.
Whilst Birch Timber is available, the few Specialty timber stores that stock it appear to import it from Russia, a very long way from us.
Needless to say it doesn't come cheap.
In fact it may be cheaper to buy solid wood furniture from IKEA and re-purpose it [eek]
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #5 
In that case just to make you jealous
IMG_20200308_164743899.jpg  LesterSpalt.jpg  Birch1.jpg  TeleSpalt.jpg 

Wombat

Reply with quote  #6 
Not really jealous, left finger.
I would rather make toys ( and boats) from finished lumber, than turn logs into lumber.
Way too much money and space required (that I don't have) for the heavy machinery needed.
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #7 
It really nice nice timber - the closest I've come to using it is with a veneered sheet as a backing board for some scrolling - beautiful figuring.

T
LeftFinger

Reply with quote  #8 
If we buy plywood it seems Baltic birch is the easiest to find , It seems to be the best as well.I just have been lucky with the lumber in finding people who had a lot cut and milled at one time or still operate mills and weren't greedy in their price.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.