Author   Comment  
gilljc

Reply with quote  #1 
has anyone else used bolts for clamping? ran some 6mm roofing bolts through axle holes - really effective and perfect line up. the metal bolts don't get glued in like dowelling would as the glue doesn't stick so well to the metal :-)
Gill
Wiley Rufus Peak

Reply with quote  #2 
Gill- This is a great idea. I will be sure to use this. I've got a lot of bolts and nuts lying around that can be used. I am going to use your idea to make a bar clamp out of two long narrow pieces of wood connected with bolts and nuts at each end. I need to glue up some big pieces of wood and this will be a cheap way to clamp it up. thanks
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #3 
not sure if you have any thing like it in the us but in the uk plastic hangers the ones shops use to hold trousers/skirts some have 2 small spring clamps on the ends of the hanger to hold the item but you cut or slide them off and there you go 2 free spring clamps good for holding small items while waiting for the glue to go off.

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Gary,
I've got a huge box of these things and haven't known what to do with them. Now I have an answer! I just tested your idea and it really works swell like you said. Thanks!
gilljc

Reply with quote  #5 
oooh! got some of these kicking around waiting do be thrown out - off to hunt through wardrobe :-)
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #6 
glad it work out for you i have seen these hangers in boxes outside shops with a sign on them saying please take if you want them so you can get them that way for free also.

Reply with quote  #7 
Now we're cookin'! You just ain't goin' to believe how many of these #@%%^&!!! hangers are in my closets and how they get tangled up in everything. And how glad I am that I didn't throw them all away. I took a bunch of them off and clipped them all together in crazy ways like art. Kind of like a mechanical 3D puzzle. My great-grands (and great-great-grands) went nuts for them. They are also REALLY handy at my workbench. Thanks for the tip!!
Liz Crawford

Reply with quote  #8 
Oops. I meant to thank gilljc and Wiley for the bolts ideas. I also made some little 12" long bar clamps with #24-12 bolts and wing nuts. They work swell for some things but are kind of limited with other things.
woodislandjim

Reply with quote  #9 
When I can get my hands on them, I try to collect the clothes hangars with the little clamps. I use them to hang plans or next projects from the pipes in my cellar.

I also have a homemade bar clamp, 12" long, which uses 2-4 inch long 1/8" thick cleats with holes in them to slide tightly together using thumbscrews.
It's not used often but has been helpful on a few "awkward" occasions.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.