Author   Comment  
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
Bucko requested a Viking Ship and this is a basic one I developed that is quick and easy to make while being rugged enough for play. It is not a floater, but works great scooting around on carpet-a true carpet-scooter! What do you all think? It is approximately 18" long and is made using standard 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" wood.

Bucko Viking Ship.jpg

ctowne

Reply with quote  #2 
I love it!!!
Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
What a nice surprise to see as a warm up on a wintry day. Taking a good look I'm thinking there's too many oars for our toy theme. I'd like to see the looks of the Ship with eliminating the front and last oars bringing to a total of 6 oars each side and putting some Dragon character into the tail similar to the tail on the European Dragon from this site.
Thanks for your work and interest John and forum member input should be interesting.
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #4 
Sign me on!

I have a friend that is a descendant of the Vikings ( not the football team) and would love to have this.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
john lewman

Reply with quote  #5 
In this the second version of the Bucko Viking Ship I cleaned up the oar ports and the bow and stern. I made the top layer in left and right 3/4" thick pieces so it was easier to saw to shape and to scroll saw the oar ports instead of drilling them. It goes a lot smoother that way. I also lined up the hull layers so they meet the head and tail pieces exactly. The bow head and stern tail are now 3/4" thick instead of 1/2" thick to add strength. Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Bucko Viking Ship proto2.jpg   

john lewman

Reply with quote  #6 
This exploded view of the Bucko Viking Ship shows all of the parts and the basic assembly of the components. Comments?
Bucko Viking Ship proto 3.png 

john lewman

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the feedback and thank you Bucko for the suggestion on the oars and tail. I will do this. Great idea! I hope to finish this in a few days and post the plan set as a freebee on the forum for one 24 hour period before the launch to the World.

I am working on a companion toy plan that is a Roman Battle Galleon of the same era. It is a matching scale. I might offer both plans in the promotion on sale for $14.50 for both plans if we can get them proofed and ready soon enough.

This is my reference photo for the Roman galleon.

Roman_Galleon_3.jpg 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
What an interesting idea!

I sent the picture to a friend that is into Viking lore to get his thoughts.

John, what is the sail made from?

john lewman

Reply with quote  #9 
The sail is 1/8" premium plywood project panel purchased at Hobby Lobby. You can also use 1/8" hardboard or masonite and the dark color of this product looks great with a couple of coats of clear poly.
Bucko

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks John for your work on the Ships, this should be a great set . My thoughts on reducing the Oar amount was to free up some deck space for Vikings or cargo.
The Roman Galleon is a striking vessel indeed and the 2 of these ships have the potential to provide lots of fun for play.
ctowne

Reply with quote  #11 
I like both of them.  They look like they would be fun builds. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.