Author   Comment  
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, I have posted a question in the materials forum, but thought it would be worth repeating here, as it arises from ToymakingPlans:-

I have looked at craftparts.com for readymade wheels and am considering ordering some, but I wondered if anyone knows of a supplier in the UK, first?

If I can find a UK supplier, I can order in smaller quantities, as required, rather than a bulk order from the US, which might mean I have a bunch of unused wheels!

Up to now, I have made wheels, but it's a bit of a pain, as I don't have a lathe.

Thanks.

Reply with quote  #2 
Tom
You can make great wheels using a drill press and Bosch Progressor holesaws and  forstner bits You can be inventive in your designs I get my Bosch from Axminster on line and have built up a good size collection Not cheap but cheaper than buying large quantities of pre made wheels different sizes
Ken
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, Ken, I'll certainly give that a try. Up to now, I've been making wheels by cutting out on the bandsaw and then using a jig on the belt sander to get them consistently round and the required diameter. Then I use the drill press and bandsaw to cut tyre treads, quite a satisfying, but laborious, process! I just fancied trying some commercially available wooden wheels for a change, as they look quite good in the pictures I've seen.

Reply with quote  #4 
This post just might be a solution for you as well.
http://forums.toymakingplans.com/post/small-wheels-make-your-own-on-the-table-saw-7229899?highlight=udie+wheels&pid=1290492044

TomDullage

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks, Udie, very useful!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.