Author   Comment  
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #1 
Ok, so I had to use some filler when I made my second bi-plane which negated the staining. I chose to do camouflage which was a paint scheme used during WWI on the spad.

If you're ever doing camo, cut nice sharp edges on the various pieces of masking tape. I thought by tearing the edge of the tape it would look more natural....it doesn't, it looks a LOT better with a clean edge.

If I were to do this again, what I'd do is spread some 2" masking tape down on a piece of melamine or similar smooth surface, cut out the various shapes, then transfer the tape to the object to be painted. This way you will eliminate cut lines on your item....

How this works is:
Choose your first (most likely) lightest colour, paint the whole object that colour.
Mask off the areas you want to keep this colour, paint the whole object your second colour.
Mask off the areas you want to keep this colour, paint the whole object your third colour, keeping the original masking tape in place.

For something this size, I should have used smaller sections of tape. The pattern is a little large for this plane. It would probably be better if the plane was 25% bigger or about 18" wingspan instead of 14" (ish).

I used 2 colours of the krylon camo paint in ultra flat. I had a can of gloss dark forest green laying around so instead of buying a 3rd can, I just used that.

You can use a 4th colour, flat black, but I think it looks ok with the three.....

bip camo 2.JPG  bip camo 1.JPG 
I painted the upper wing separate so I could get the underside of it, as well as the top of the lower wing. I glued in the wing supports so they'd get kinda sorta camo painted as well. I masked off the areas that would go into the recesses into the upper wing. I also put little stubs of dowel into the recesses in the upper wing so they wouldn't get painted in.

I tell ya, hanging onto something like this while you spray all 4 sides is tricky. I installed a 2" long screw into the prop hole but still, I have a camouflage thumb now...

I tell you, the camouflage works. I put it down on my work bench with a bunch of tools around it, when I went back an hour later for a second, I couldn't find it....

A bit of trivia: camouflage is meant to break up any straight line/edges. Nature doesn't produce straight lines.....hence why the patterns always fun over the straight edges...helps break them up. Same as why soldiers wear boonie hats (kind of like tilley's) because it breaks up the outline of their head.

If you've ever seen photos of WWII warships, you'll see an odd geometric pattern on them. This was supposed to fool the eye of the submariner and make it a little more difficult to gauge the ship's course and speed....

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Muskokamike - Now there's a labour of love project - well done.
Great job on the camouflage, and sure to catch someone's eye at your up and coming craft show.
You must tell us all about it in a separate post as well as the public's reaction to this wonderful project.
Nice touch on the axle's with the drop in dowel.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #3 
Love it looks great.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #4 
Actually, on the axle, that's a brad nail with the head cut off.....I had to use the axle as support for the landing gear so I needed some way for the wheels to still rotate....Bi-planes typically had a kind of half moon hubcap, if I was so inclined, I could make one and cover this retaining pin. It could never come out and be covered...but I'm learned to chill out with the details lol.....

I'm working on a 14" long peterbilt and as I was drawing it I started to think: ok, how am I going to make the door handles? How can I hinge them so it looks reasonable? now how would go about making a rear axle with the differential housing? (I even went so far as to look up what the rear axles of a Peterbilt 3457 looked like) lol......

One of the reasons I posted a detailed description in case anyone gets to building the military toys and decides to camouflage them.....the ultra flat camo paint from Krylon is pretty cool stuff...but one word of caution: it does NOT sand like the semi and gloss colours...it wears away in no time.....
ctowne

Reply with quote  #5 
Nice paint job.  That is a lot of work, I think Ken did a camo tank as well.  It certainly is a favorite finish for the military vehicles but takes a lot of time.  I have not tried it yet but your process sounds good to me.
Cindy
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.