Author   Comment  
BGCanada

Reply with quote  #1 

New to toy making with a quick question. With respect to the bucket and arm on the Cat Loader is there a technique which allows the bucket to remain up in any position? The weight of the bucket appears more than the arm can maintain.

Anything that has been successful, especially over time? Thanks in advance for the information.

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Great question. There are several solutions. Here are a few solutions.

1. Make the swivel dowel and rotate hole a close fit by making each the same diameter and then sanding the dowel to stiffly rotate. This works for awhile but humidity and wear can cancel out your efforts over time.

2. Use a flat black rubber washer or O-ring that has a hole the diameter of the dowel. When the two cheeks on each side of the boom are glued to the bucket, place the two rubber pieces between the cheeks and the boom. Clamp the cheeks snugly to the boom then clamp the cheeks to the bucket and glue in place. This will create a friction that will last the life of the toy. Rubber O-rings are ideal but a rubber washer also works. You can also cut a washer from a soft rubber material of a heavy duty rubber glove or an old kitchen sink liner. 
BGCanada

Reply with quote  #3 
Excellent. Both solutions make sense; the washer addition sounds like it will address the concern over a longer period of time and both are relatively simple.

Appreciate the information and quick reply. Thanks.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
Another way to get dowels to fit snug with out sanding.

Measure your dowels with calipers then find a bit that is a tiny bit larger, You should drill some test holes to test the fit. Besure to measure the dowel in at least two places, more is probably better. Because of the nature of wood you will probably find that the dowel isn't round.

The best way I know to to size the holes for this is a set of numbered and lettered drill bits. Harbor freight has a set for about $50. There are 115 bits in the set covering every size you are likely to need. I bought these years ago for drilling precise size holes. There is a chart that come with them so you can just look up the size you need. Great for axle pegs.

Rod T

Reply with quote  #5 
I use option 2. that John describes with rubber o-rings.

With option 1. although it worked initially, the beeswax/mineral oil finish (Same as Cynthia's Wax) that I use lubricated the joint and made the bucket floppy.

Cheers
Rod T

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.