Author   Comment  
Woodchuck

Reply with quote  #1 
I belong to a Woodworking Club in the Midwest USA that made over 8000 toys last year to be donated to local agencies.

With the law in the US about wood finishes on childs toys, we were concerned. I just learned, however, at the last meeting that all Minwax products are OK to use.     
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 

Thank you for posting that Woodchuck.
I am sure that will help a lot of toy makers here.
Udie

Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #3 
I read somewhere in one of my woodworking mags that the finish that you put on wood as long as it has no lead in it is pretty much safe for what ever you want to do and I think that the article went on to also talk about finishes that are used on things like salad bowls also so the way that I under stand it is that after the finish has dried and cured then the little one are pretty safe from any poison. I don't think that they manufacturer lead based paint any more from what I understand. I know that when I refinish Hoosiers I try to make sure that the paint that I remove is bagged and put in the trash and while sanding it I make sure that the sander is set up to a Vacuum Cleaner or Shop Vac that way I am not breathing 100 years plus of what ever they painted it with. I apply stain then Minwax Poly to these articles and they seem to be OK.

Don
blackwolf

Reply with quote  #4 
Now days as long as you use an acrylic finish and wait the appropriate time like 48 hrs most things are fine.

Reply with quote  #5 
You know what Black Wolf I was starting to get worried but I see this child safety law a whole lot grey and maybe a thousand shades of grey. Any way common sense is good most of the time as far as I see it. Refinishing furniture is almost fool proof as the thing comes to me looking like it was ready for the burn pile and leaves with a smile and looking like it came out of a store better than brand new. The toy part for me I hope is to use up all of the scraps of wood that are filling my bins now and I have a lot of red oak and maple just waiting to be something other than a piece of kindling.

Don
blackwolf

Reply with quote  #6 
Howdy Don

I'm NEW to toymaking,not woodworking.Been doing it for 30 yrs.I always get the bad like you and and turn it around so it looks better than new and I don't want to give it back to the owner lol.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.