Author   Comment  
Rod T

Reply with quote  #1 
I haven't had a lot of time lately to be making toys, I have a few weeks off work in Jan, so plan to do a bit more then. 

These are not very exciting, but thought I would share anyway. 
Just some wall hangers that I made for xmas presents.
Dark brown timber is Elm, which is really nice to work with. I hope I can get some more.

These are all about 10" long.

IMG_1841.jpg  IMG_E1835.jpg  IMG_E1836.jpg  IMG_E1837.jpg  IMG_E1838.jpg  IMG_E1839.jpg 

Cheers
Rod T

Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
Darn nice Rod, and interesting your Elm is quite dark whereas our local Elm is light.
gsmith89

Reply with quote  #3 
I like um.. Looks like a pretty cool project. Well done
Tony

Reply with quote  #4 
That wood is very nice looking wish we could get that here

Reply with quote  #5 
the Elm is one that I have used, I think English Elm, I have another Elm that is a light colour too, My dark one came from a park in the city where I live, and the other light one was from a tree we cut down from a club members backyard, I too found Elm very good to work with, hope this sheds some light on the 2 different Elm trees, about to start a project using the light colour elm
Rod T

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Kangaroopaws, that sheds a bit of light on it.

I got this one from my local wood club and was informed that it was just Elm. 
It could very well be English Elm. 
The club gets some timber given to them from time to time and they machine it down and sell it to members for a nominal price to cover costs etc. Sometimes these are trees that have had to be cut down or come down during a storm etc.

A bit of trivia...
The Club was contacted by the American Embassy here a few years ago to take some timber of an Oak tree that had to removed from the grounds of the Embassy. The Oak tree was planted by Eleanor Roosevelt way back when the embassy was built, so it had a lot of nostalgia associated with it. 
The Oak was called Eleanor's Oak. There are still some small pieces of this Oak at the club. 
The deal is that any item made from it needs to reference it as Eleanor's Oak. 
I think there were quite a few items made by the club and then bought by the Embassy so that the tree could live on, so to speak.

Cheers
Rod T

mad irish man

Reply with quote  #7 
Hello Rod t can I ask where I could buy the design for these animals please we do a lot of wood working for primary classes and they would go well for the classroom wall charts or the nursery area for the young ones to play with.. We had a great time taking the scroll saw into the school to show the children ow they are made from a piece of wood to a simple Christmas design for the child to keep and hopefully mum and dads to love and cherish until they reach  adult age ......
Rod T

Reply with quote  #8 
These were all on Pinterest.com
I just printed out pictures that I liked and cut them from there.
Search wooden animals or wooden fish and they will come up.
There are some basic outline plans for jigsaw animals etc on there as well.

Cheers
Rod T
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.