Author   Comment  
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #1 
I had quite a busy run-up to Christmas, as I had decided to make presents for a few friends and relatives. Among the toys were a couple of sets of Play Pals, for friends' children, Small World VW mini-bus and cabriolet for a grand-nephew and a car carrier and 4 cars for my grandson, Aaron. DSC_6964.jpg  VW Cabriolet.jpg 
The cabriolet is made in Basswood and Mahogany, while the mini-bus is Mahogany and Oak. Wheels are 20mm commercial offerings, bought online.

D75_1516.jpg  D75_1517.jpg 
The car carrier and cars are all MDF, with wheels made from some scrap oak. I won't, willingly, work with MDF in future, as I really dislike the finish I seem to get, despite trying various paints and primers! You may recognise the origins of a couple of the cars, I didn't fancy making 4 the same!
No pictures of the Play Pals, I'm afraid, as I forgot to take them before packing, doh!

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
These are wonderful wood toy gifts and I especially am impressed with the creativity displayed in the car carrier with the extended convertible and others. 
Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
Excellent Tom, what’s your impression of using Basswood. I seem to like it then I’m not as going across grain on cuts doesn’t quite clean up well sanding. The last time I used it last month though I was very happy with using and finishing it though.
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #4 
Nice looking toys good work.[thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #5 
Bucko, I really like working in Basswood, but I do agree that getting a good finish can be a bit hit and miss. I recently cut a bat jigsaw from 3/4 inch Basswood and some cuts were not as smooth as I would have liked, which showed up a bit when I oiled the finished piece. Being quite new to the hobby, I'm still experimenting with different woods, when I can get them!

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDullage
The car carrier and cars are all MDF, with wheels made from some scrap oak. I won't, willingly, work with MDF in future, as I really dislike the finish I seem to get, despite trying various paints and primers!

I'm no fan of MDF the dust is awful. However, I find that if I want a very smooth (especially glossy) finish MDF is my go to material. Unlike wood it starts out smooth. You have to seal it some how. The best thing I have found is shellac. Apply the shellac and sand the fuzz of and repeat if you sand through. Repeat until smooth and apply you paint on top of that.

Surface prep is 90% of the finish. You can put a glass smooth finish on anything if you do the prep.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.