Author   Comment  
gsmith89

Reply with quote  #1 
I just finished the Ciccarelli Gran Prix before the cold weather hit here in the Buckeye State. I built the car with poplar and the sides of the car is cherry that I had. I stained the poplar with Red Mahogany. I made the wheels a little different . I wanted them to be a little wider. Fun build the plans were great as usual. IMG_0688.jpg  20171215_155432.jpg  20171215_155211.jpg  IMG_0680.jpg  IMG_0682.jpg  IMG_0689.jpg  IMG_0687.jpg 
Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
Quality build for sure, great job on the drilling of the dowell above the windshield. Excellent work on the tires for a great custom look. The stain on the Poplar looks fantastic, have you used the Red Mahogany stain on Poplar before?
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
That is a good lookin' build. I love the Ciccarelli. Wood toy cars are my favorite. I have been working on a plan set named Corvette Village. It has 4 vintage Corvettes and a Race Team truck with slide-out and in ramp. I hope to launch it in the Spring of 2018.
gsmith89

Reply with quote  #4 
Bucko this is a first using it on poplar. We have a saw mill close so I have been getting poplar off them. A whole lot cheaper and I mill it myself. It is all kiln dried. I really like poplar to build toys. It is really nice to work with. I think that the Ciccarelli is a really cool looking car.
gsmith89

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks John like I said I really like the looks of Ciccarelli. I have got plenty of poplar ready for Hillbilly Hot Rods.[smile]
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #6 
This is a fantastic looking model. I like how the different woods and colours contrast and compliment each other. I haven't used Popular myself just American Maple, Walnut & Beech with Birch wheels on my trucks. Well done looks amazing especially with the custom wheels as well.
All the best for the new year.
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #7 
What a great looking car, really makes me want to have a go at this design!

Reply with quote  #8 
Great job all round but those wheels are really cool. How did you make those.

Reply with quote  #9 
Tony the wheels are poplar 7/8 " thick. I wanted the wheels to stand out a little past the fenders. The holes drilled with the plan diagram and one of my hole saws for the wheels. I don't have lathe so I use my drill press to sand and clean the wheels up. Works for me.
Thanks George
Bucko

Reply with quote  #10 
Excellent job of drilling the wheels details , I’ve been curious how one of these tooling would work for making wheels ? https://www.amazon.com/D4088-Lathe-Attachment-Drill-Press/dp/B005W16YJS
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #11 
That's a cool looking drill press attachment, Bucko, I'm just imagining a tilt mechanism to flip the drill press through 90 degrees and make the lathe conversion work horizontally! A bit of research, to see if I can get something like it here in the UK!

Reply with quote  #12 
Nice job on the car.

I enjoyed doing mine but I painted mine yours looks great stained.

I have the painting pyramids also and is a great asset on painting and staining.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
gsmith89

Reply with quote  #13 
The painting pyramids are a great tool in the shop and they are inexpensive. Poplar is a nice wood to work with and it stains well. Thanks
AES

Reply with quote  #14 
Great add-on for the drill press, didn't know about that one, thanks. (Sorry, "BTW", nice car too)! 

denis_muras

Reply with quote  #15 
Great looking build!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.