Author   Comment  
Frankg

Reply with quote  #1 

In the middle of my glue operation the spray tip nozzle decided to stop working.  No spray, no glue. It just stopped working while I was spraying. Conclusion: The tip must be clogged because there was still plenty of glue in the can. So they always say don’t poke the spray nozzle hole. Well!!! What is one supposed to do then??

Here’s how I came up with a way to clean the tip of a clogged glue spray can nozzle. See Photo 1.

Common sense told me to clean off the glue around the nozzle hole. So I picked at the gooey stuff and tried the best to pull it off. Tough Job! I got most of it off, but then when I tried it again ……………….. still no spray.

Denatured Alcohol to the rescue!!!

I had a can of denatured alcohol on my shelf so I thought that might do the trick. See Photo 2.

Now I removed the nozzle from the can and soaked it in the alcohol a few minutes. See Photo 3.

See Photo 4. The glue is starting to soften so I can now remove it easier from the outside of the nozzle. See Photo 5.

I discovered that even if the outside is cleaned it is still possible to get clogged from the inside!!!

See Photo 6. So I took a pointed needled and gently dug into the extension of the nozzle and discovered there were small particles of clogged glue that had contributed to the initial stoppage of the spray operation . You must be careful that you don’t do any damage to the inside of the nozzle while you perform this operation. (To be safer, you can probably use a toothpick for this). It does not take any hard poking as the glue will come out as you dig and pull out (with the needle) the excess glue which is now in a very soft stage. Keep poking and digging gently until you get it all out. For my experience there was not a whole lot of glue, but enough to cause a clog. Re-soak the nozzle in the alcohol and check again. It took me about three times to get all the glue out.

Place the Nozzle back on the can and lo and behold!  So, I’m back to spraying and finishing my project.

PS. This might work for paint cans too, using paint thinner, I would think.

Hope this is helpful.

Photo 1.jpg  Photo 2.jpg  Photo 3.jpg  Photo 4.jpg  Photo 5.jpg  Photo 6.jpg 

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Frank,
I just wanted to thank you for this cool post. It will help me solve a common problem in my shop. And your post is really easy to understand.
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
Great post and tip for the glue spraying nozzle Frank, thanks for sharing.

For spray paint, I have a little container full of used nozzles. Before I discard an exhausted can of spray paint I turn the can over and spray until the draw tube is empty. Then I pop off the nozzle and toss it into my nozzle container. When I experience a nozzle problem, I pop it off and replace it with one of my spares and continue spraying, no down time.
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #4 
Lacquer Thinner left in a glass container will clean the nozzles in a few minutes shake the container with the nozzle in it and then use the air line from a small compressor one used for Air Brushes to clean the nozzles and then store them in a Bottle on your work bench. The compressor from an air brush system is about 30 lbs per square inch and this seems to do a real nice job. - Don
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.