Author   Comment  
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #1 
Workshop 080520.jpg 
Now that I'm only down to 3 clients and just turned 77 - my good wife reminded me it was time it was time for the workshop cleanup!

I have approximately 50 drawers (most with additional compartments!) ... model making accumulates so many little "bits and bobs" !!!!

I decided I would take a shot at what I consider 'half way though' the cleanup .. just for the record.

Out of the picture (RHS) are:-
  1. Table saw
  2. Dust/chip extractor
  3. Thicknesser
Out of the picture (LHS) are:-
  1. The Proxxon mini bandsaw
  2. Foredom bench lathe
  3. More storage drawers!!
The Stepcraft 600 CNC is now on a new bench (I got rid of the big lathe as it just wasn't being used)

The dust extractor is through the wall behind the CNC and the two mini lathes - I have decided to relocate the chip extractor (for thicknessner and big saws) - in about a week it will be outside the shop in an add-on to the far RHS.
The pipework is mainly under the floor and I have a few multi-port outlets each with their own shut-off valve.

Balancing work on site and client projects and a couple for the 8 grand-kids takes some doing ... fortunately there are only 4 living in Sydney and the laws regarding sending/taking anything with wood in it  cut out another two.

The older they call get, the less interested they are in grandpa's toys - although models made on the 3D printer tend to pique their interest!!

Oh well ... back to the clean-up!!

Tony

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: Workshop 080520.jpg, Views: 39, Size: 331.51 KB 

Peter V

Reply with quote  #2 

very nice workplace, look or is professional, specially the dust-extraction.

That is something I have to work on. What kind of dust-extration do you use?

Reply with quote  #3 
Dust extraction (for the cnc and fine dust makers) - a central vacuum cleaner outside and piped around the workshop - you may see the 50mm white piping dropping down to flap-cover points around the shop.

The chip system (thicknesser - planer etc.) is a Carbatec 1hp unit with a removable bag and filter on top with a rotatable rapper to clean inside of filter.

Works well but it will be better/quieter outside and joined into the existing 100mm PVC pipework.

T
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for sharing your shop clean-up. I went through this a few weeks ago as I was recovering from a stint in the hospital. That is a professional setup you've created. I am impressed! I am 14 months from my 77th birthday and I guess I had better start improving my shop to look more like yours.
Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Tony,
           I don't have the luxury of a workshop now days. I have to share a work bench with two cars and my wife's in door clothes, space is a premium. So had to make the best of what I had. 20200510_160018.jpg Here we have a bench grinder on the left, drill press with compressor underneath and ladders, bench vice and table saw underneath.Tool rack and storage above.

20200510_160050.jpg  Better photo of table saw and wood storage.

20200510_160110.jpg  Cnc router sunk into the bench so I can use the bed for space to cut long lengths on the near by drop saw. Under the Cnc is a roll out planer/ thicknesser and dust vacumm. Beside is a rubbish bin.

20200510_160123.jpg  Next to the drop saw is my scroll saw and bench sander. Tool storage underneath in drawers, with electrical tools on shelves at the end. Above this is more storage.

20200510_160137.jpg  Here is more storage on the wall and folding saw horses on shelf above and my wife's indoor clothes line.

Cheers Raymond.

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #6 
Organised co-operative solution - Love it!!

T
Wombat

Reply with quote  #7 
I presume the sawdust helps to absorb moisture from the clothes?[wink]
Loggerlaws

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi WomBat,
                 The smell of wood brings the forest with you where ever you go. It's all about sharing your space with one another, cars, tools, damp clothes drying in the winter.

Cheers Raymond.
Wombat

Reply with quote  #9 
Must be something about the onset of winter that makes one get serious about reorganising the workshop.
Been thinking of it since I bought my Stepcraft 600 CNC router kit, but it was this posting that made me get serious about making some space for it.

First up was a good hard review of the stuff held in it, amazing what you find put away in prime locations and then left forgotten and unused for years. Some was relocated to lesser grade storage under the house and some simply to the dumpster. 

A ratty old set of drawers and a tatty shelf rack that had seen 40 years service were abandoned. Two 4-drawer filing cabinets were moved out.
 A bedroom cabinet and drawer set that had been unused since my daughter left home a decade ago was pressed into service and fitted with a new varnished MDF bench top edged with hardwood.

Some new wall lining and a reshuffle of existing cabinets, the old computer set up ready for use with the new machine,  and I am ready to go again. 
Hand-tools in the drawers and the small black drawer set under the monitor, Power tools in the big sliding door cabinet, space for wood panels for the cnc ( empty at present) and plastic bins holding wheels and materials and fasteners in the right hand cabinet.
Just enough space on the lefthand end of shed to store the folded-up orange/red router table when not in use.

Thanks for the kick-start Tony!  Still have to set up a ducted vacuum system, but one step at a time!
Sad to think it won't look this clean and tidy for long, but I am missing the smell of sawdust.
2ABB8515-B897-4493-9C7D-3268397D10DA.jpeg  8881F3E4-4F2D-4B6D-AC1F-EE91D0C706B3.jpeg 

Lexie

Reply with quote  #10 
Very nice wood shops. I have double wide garage that has my washing machine, dryer, old file cabinets, lawn mower, garden tools (shovels,rakes, etc). One work table that holds my miter saw, drill press. I keep my belt sander outside on the covered patio to keep sanding dust under control in fresh air.  For some reason i do all my staining on the kitchen as well as nail gunning there with a small compressor.
I really need to organized so i can get more done when i do work on wood projects.
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #11 
I think that we both came out of the same mould mate - I was originally trained by DCA before doing the first of my degrees and then running my own business - now work between 2 and 4 days a week consulting in engineering ISO and R&D.
At 77 I'm thinking that maybe 80 is the new slow-down age!!
I have to pick up so 6mm wood bits this afternoon for a profiling job on the Stepcraft 600 before cutting some Caterpillar tracks with a 1.5mm bit.
Keeps me young and this Vectric and drawing stuff!!

The dust extraction has been an on-going thing .. I started with a Hare & Forbes 1hp unit piped throughout the shop but the cnc and small sanders have a domestic central vacuum system installed out the back and piped to a few places around the shop.

A ceiling-slung timed filter that runs for an hr after work cleans up the last of the airborne ... costly but wouldn't be without it. The dust shoe from Rob works a treat on the 600 ... virtually no dust at all from that now!!!

Keep in touch mate - when the planes start flying again I come to MLB a bit so maybe we could catch up!!

I just ordered some planing bits (not much to chose from with a 6mm shank for my Kress) but they should be from somewhere up north by mid-July!!
Tell me if you're' coming up to SYD mate.

T

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.