Author   Comment  
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone have any tips on how to do the items listed below for the Cobra Fighter Helicopter?  I attempted to make the main body 4 times yesterday and messed up all 4 of them 😉

1. Drill the hole for part #10.  My bench top drill press doesn't have enough height to drill this with a 3/8 bit so I've tried to drill it by hand.  It has been a disaster because the bit catches or slips and ruins the body.  Is there a way to drill this before the body is cut?  Since it is at an angle, I'm not sure.
  2. Cut parts #3, #4, and #5 so that they match up smoothly with the body. I'm finding that my cuts aren't precise enough to get a good fit.  I'm using a #7 Flying Dutchman blade.  Should I try a smaller one?
Thanks!
jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #2 
I figured out a way to get around the issues that I mentioned above.  May not be the best method, but the result is better than what I've had so far.
  • To drill the hole for part #10, I started with a 1/8 brad point bit so I could get the center of the hole where I wanted it.  I then stepped my way up to the final 3/8 hole by drilling the hole again with a slightly larger bit. I didn't use brad point bits after the first one because I wanted to minimize (or eliminate) tear out as I increased the diameter of the hole.  When I reached the final diameter, I was slightly lower than I wanted to be, but I think it is usable. IMG_0621.jpg 
  • For the other issue, I first traced the pattern of the main helicopter body on to the wood blank.  Then I traced each of the other parts in the position that the would be in the final stage.  The result was a drawing of the helicopter with the body and parts #3, #4, and #5 as they would look when they were glued up.  Next, I changed to a #3 blade and then cut parts #3, #4, and #5 off of the drawing.  Now they mate up well when I get ready to glue it all together. IMG_0620.jpg 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
When enlarging a hole by hand I have found it useful to start the drill in reverse untill it gets a little way into the wood. This helps prevent the bit grabbing and tearing out a loarge chunk of wood. I always ream out axle holes on painted toys in reverse. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

jasonshanks

Reply with quote  #4 
Great advice...thanks BadBob!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.