Author   Comment  
ctowne

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All -
After reading Ken's post last week I decided to take a break from what I was working on and make some corvettes.  He was so right what an easy and fun build.  I modified mine by making it at 55%. 

20150208_071805_resized_1.jpg 
Shrinking the plan made the cars approx. 4.5" long.  The center pieces are 2, 1/2" and 1, 1/8"(not a pinstripe).  The center piece would look good at 1/8, 1/4, 1/2.  The wheels are 7/8".  This size corvette fits in with the other Small World plans on this site.  Let me know what you think. 

Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
ctowne -
What a great looking pair of (Barbie style - only because of your colour selection) corvettes.
Scaling down to 55 % looks super and shows the flexibility of the plan sets and compatibility to other similar scaled vehicles. 
I like your pin stripe idea using solid wood down the middle.
   These corvettes without the headlights and taillights still look good and allow quick builds as you have demonstrated, great for craft shows and by adding the lights on a couple, could be presented at a little higher cost.
   Let's talk about the side details, did you paint them on or cut them out, paint and then glue in place.
They look sharp also.
Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
Nice work for sure and great post with the pictures and detailed info
ctowne

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Bucko.
Udie -
The color is actually a really good red.  The lighting in the room made it more pinkish.  I would love to do headlights and taillights.  I have been leary about drilling details like those into 1/4" pieces.  After all that hard work I did not want to split it.  What do you suggest?  I have many side pieces that width that I would like to have headlight and taillight holes.  The steering wheel will be easy to add I just didn't have any 3/8" dowels cut thin. 
On the side pieces I cut them out, painted them and then glued them back in.  Another modification that I forgot was I made the foot area less deep.  That allowed for more gluing surface for those side pieces.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #5 
Cindy

This is a great post.
Love what you did with the cars.
Thanks for sharing.

Douglas

Reply with quote  #6 
Cindy nice motors ....with regard to drilling ....you could try starting with 1/16 then go 1/8 then go 3/16 then  go 1/4 then throw it in the bin because its split out .   Ha ! Ha! .. That might work .try it on a piece of scrap .  Another way would be to clamp blocks either side ..so your 1/4 thinks its a 1" piece .     Douglas    [cool]
ctowne

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Douglas - I will try the smaller bit sizes and then larger except the 1/4" size.  [smile]
Definitely on a scrap piece first. 
Cindy
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #8 
These are great Cindy!  Thanks for sharing!

Reply with quote  #9 
These are great cars Cindy. It's good to be able to enlarge and reduce the plans to suit our needs.
Lloyd

Reply with quote  #10 

Cindy-These cars are great and I love the colors.

TommyT

Reply with quote  #11 
Great job Cindy!!!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.