Author   Comment  
rdredge

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi!  I need help again!.  I am trying to cut out a tractor with 1 1/2 laminated wood.  The cut is bowed, especially  around turns causing one side to be thicker than the other.  Hope that makes since.  I am going really slow but it does not seem to help.  Suggestions for blade size and speed if that is my problem?? 
KenFM

Reply with quote  #2 
rdrege
I had this problem recently and I resolved it by increasing the tension a little on the number 12 blade and stopped pushing the MDF wood as I considered I was being impatient as it is always slower cutting thicker material 
ken (kenFM) 
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #3 
I don't have a scroll saw but I've had this problem before when trying to use a jigsaw on thick material. If I understand correctly you are trying to make something like a car fender that is curved, the inside if a tighter curve than the outside but the whole thing is supposed to be the same width?

Since you're laminating two pieces together to make 1 1/2", and you (might) can cut 3/4" fine, why not cut them separate, do one really nice, one really coarse, then glue them together and use a follower/pattern bit in a router? I mean, if it is only 1/4" wide this will be a problem (hanging onto it safely) but I use that system all the time and you end up with two identical pieces, and it is much easier to sand and smooth a 3/4" piece than a  1 1/2" piece.
rdredge

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Muskokamike,   making 2 that are 3/4 and glueing them was going to be my next option, glad to know it will work fine.  Will try it now.
Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
rdredgs - Check out this Forum post "Crooked Scroll Saw Cuts".
There are some great things to try to overcome this common problem.

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #6 
Yeah, just leave like 1/16" of material on the second and then use a follower bit.....this way they'll come out 100% identical and you won't have to do much sanding on the 2nd since it will be pretty much exactly like the first.....
KenFM

Reply with quote  #7 
rdrege
I have attached a picture that I found regarding my earlier post on the scroll saw blade bending The left is the problem the right is after I adjusted the blade tension and cut slower Hope it is of interest.
Ken (kenFM) blade bend 003.JPG

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.