Author   Comment  
Frankg

Reply with quote  #1 
Was wondering if there is a way to remove the wax once it's applied on bare wood. I need to remove it to glue on another piece of wood.

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Frank,

To remove the paste wax from the wood you can boil water in a pan and dip the part into the boiling water using tongs. Hold it down in the water for a couple of minutes. You'll see the wax and oil float to the top of the water. Skim the water to remove the wax and oil, then remove the part from the water with the tongs. Let dry thoroughly before gluing.  
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
Cynthia - Would holding the area I which to remove the mineral oil/bee's wax under the hot water tap work? Never tried it yet, but wondered if it might.
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Udie,

[Cynthia - Would holding the area I which to remove the mineral oil/bee's wax under the hot water tap work? Never tried it yet, but wondered if it might.]

I've never tried that method but it might work! I would think the water would need to be very hot for it to work. It's worth experimenting with.

Frankg

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Cynthia,

I my case I had a situation where I could not do what you recommended since the toy was already assembled. The piece was also stained. Previously I had sanded off the stain. (This is the marble drop toy, I needed to add another dowel stop on the ramp) So I tried your trick and boiled some water and used an acid brush to apply the hot water to the small area being careful to not let it run into other areas. I held a paper towel close by to catch any drips.
I went over the spot a few times. My test was to apply tape and see if the tape would hold. So I applied heat to the area to dry the moisture. Well, it still did not hold so I tried sanding a little more to no avail. Finally I decided to apply my Denatured alcohol and it seemed to work better. To be sure the glue would hold, I applied a coat of clear finish over the spot. I just checked the glued piece and it seems to be holding well now. I think the boiling water method would work. Maybe it was not thoroughly dry?? Maybe I didn't soak it enough?? All I gotta say is that your Beeswax formula works really well!!![wink]

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.