Author   Comment  
blackwolf

Reply with quote  #1 
For anyone interested in the "Look" of the Cynthia's non toxic finish on raw wood I hope this comparison  helps.
I did not bake the wood,stain or anything but apply 1 coat of the magic elixir..
BOTH trucks are from the EXACT same board..
Flat bed is finished with the paste and other one isn't done yet.
   Pro's : Beautiful finish,grains are sealed and is soft to the touch-REALLY soft considering its only sanded with 120..Cannot tell that it wasn't finish sanded.
   Cons: You may get biased by the natural look vs. painted..Hobby Lobby had to order the bee's wax and the only place I could find mineral oil at was Rite aid and when I asked the clerk if they had any she shook her head sadly like I had some form of malady lol..

How To make Cynthia's Non-Toxic Bees Wax Wood Toy Finish
 015.jpg

Reply with quote  #2 
Black Wolf: Mineral Oil is very common and should be available at any pharmaceuticals. Even big box stores like Wal-Mart/Target will have it. Funny you had difficulties acquiring some. The Bee's wax, that could be a challenge. Craft stores like Michaels has it but way to expensive, and ordering on line can also be expensive and then add the shipping costs. Oddly enough ... I did a search for a local Bee Handler, and guess what, I found a guy a couple miles out of town, he sold me a pound for about one fifth of the cost at Michaels. Give that a try.

AdamR-NY

Reply with quote  #3 
What type of wood did you use?  If you didn't use the magic elixir what would you have used?
Adam
AdamR-NY

Reply with quote  #4 
Ebay has some low cost options with free shipping for beeswax.
Adam
papabrett

Reply with quote  #5 
Bought mine at Blick paint store. Paid under $10. 1 block goes a long way
Woody Allan

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi All

I made a batch of Cynthia's magic potion and I obtained the items quite easily in the UK. Beeswax granules are widely used for sealing end grain in 'green' wood and also as a bulking agent in making candles so they should easily be obtainable from good woodworking shops or craft supply shops. Failing that check the internet for your local bee keepers society, they can probably help you out. For the mineral oil I went to a major Chemist chain, known as Boots in this country, and purchased a bottle of Johnsons Baby Oil which is pure mineral oil. If it's safe to use on babies then it's safe to use on wood!!. I made a large tub of it about 18 months ago, given some to a fellow wood turner and I have plenty left.

As Cynthia said in her video, you MUST use a thermometer as the ignition point of beeswax is quite low and if you over heat I not only is there the possible chance of fire but it tends to darken the paste as I found out when I tried to re-melt it to use it as a dipping wax. It worked but it turned out darker than I was hoping for.

Sorry for the long reply and I will closnow

'Woody' Allan
xihunter

Reply with quote  #7 
I am going to buy the beeswax for this, but the store has yellow wax and a clear wax. Which should I buy?
Thanks!
Woody Allan

Reply with quote  #8 
I personally would go for the cleat wax as this only slightly darkens the wood when applied.
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 

Hi xhunter,

You can use either yellow or white bees wax. If you have the choice, I'd recommend the yellow since it will impart a warmer hue against the wood.

Just a few tips:

- I purchased the mineral oil at my local Walmart Supercenter in their pharmacy department in the laxatives section. It was much cheaper than buying it at a CVS or Walgreen's. If you live outside the US you can substitute the mineral oil with baby oil.

- I purchased a 1 lb. block of bees wax at my local Michael's Crafts store. If you go to their website they almost always have a coupon available for 40% off one item. A $15 block of beeswax cost me about $8 with the coupon. Call Michael's before you drive there to make sure they carry bees wax at your local store. Hobby Lobby is another option, and they too usually have a 40% off one item coupon available on their website.

xihunter

Reply with quote  #10 
Thank you both for the replies. I was planning on the Hobby Lobby route with a coupon. I will keep the big "box" stores in mind when it comes time for the mineral oil. Thanks again!
Frankg

Reply with quote  #11 
I would think with the current crisis of bee population dropping. the prices may go higher or it will be a scarcity. Bee raising for a hobby anyone??

Reply with quote  #12 
Read all about it! In case your curious about beeswax, which I was.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeswax

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.