Author   Comment  
dmjones

Reply with quote  #1 
Just curious if anyone has used Danish oil to finish their projects? Also, is it safe for children? If someone has used it can you post pictures and color of danish oil used? I am wanting to use it but I don't want to buy some and then find out I don't like it and not use it. It would just be a waste.  I hope I'm not being to much of a tightwad.

Thanks,
David
BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
You need to read the SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for the specific one you are using and the manufacturer's application instructions. These are normally available from their websites. If they are not find a brand that is.  What I would be concerned about is how long it takes for the finish to fully cure. Note that dry means you can touch it cured is when it is safe. Some oil finishes nave very long cure times. Some as long as 30 days. Some oil finishes never cure they just soak into the wood.  

Just for an example, I use Minwax Quick Drying Polyurethane on some of my toys. The cure time is seven days or longer in unfavorable conditions such as when it is cool and humid. I don't sell or let children have these until they are at least a week to two weeks done. 

gazz

Reply with quote  #3 
As far as i can remember danish oil is basically tung oil with dyes added, for non painted toys use tung oil. I made a chopping board over 30 years ago hadn't been used a great deal never been retreated, about 2 years ago i sanded and oiled it. If painted i normaly use a water based varnish polyurethane.
hope this helps

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the information.
gazz

Reply with quote  #5 
Forgot I had this is from Liberon
IMG_20171209_112815.jpg 

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for all the information. It is very helpful.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.