Author   Comment  
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #1 
I have been experimenting using some of the artificial "woods" - ModWood - EcoWood etc for making wheels. The project is meeting with a high degree of success! The material is grainless, dense and yet easily machinable.

I generally use re-sawn pieces and a 'wheel cutter that automatically cuts the profile effortlessly.

I have some large (4"/100mm) wheels with treads to make for a large mining truck and it sure beats the harder timbers - no tear-out either!

I have a friend who uses the material for decking and there are plenty of off-cuts.

The solid colour (usually Merbau) means that a coating of oil and the job's done!

T
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Cometoz,

We'd love to see photos of your wheels representing each of the techniques you mentioned. Sounds like you've had some great results.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Cometoz

We are always interested in different wood and how to's about making wheels.
Like Cynthia said above, it will be fun to see photos of your finished wheels in the woods you are talking about.
Thank for sharing.

AES

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Cometoz, that sounds very interesting.

Like the other replies, I too would like more info - including in my case, what exactly these woods QUOTE: ModWood - EcoWood UNQUOTE: are.

Sorry to be an ignorant but I've never heard of this material. I assume they are some sort of "manufactured" wood available wherever you are based, but after a quick Google I can't find anything and have never heard of either these names here in Switzerland, so could you please describe the material?

A photo or two would be good too  - perhaps a raw blank and a finished wheel?

Thanks in advance.

AES

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #5 
Details on a typical version of the "wood" are found at modwood.com.au/decking/ and yes - it is a material manufactured from plastic waste etc. I'm going on leave for three weeks but hope to post so pics on my return but in the meantime - this is what I intend to achieve.
eko.PNG 
big wheel.PNG

AES

Reply with quote  #6 
That's excellent info cometoz, thanks (and BTW, I get your handle now - am I slow or what?).

I think we have something similar here, also used for decking, etc.

I'll follow up your link and will advise after you get back. Have a good leave.

Cheers

AES

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.