Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
  mini cooper-trailer-trailblazer.pngDid this at dinner tonight. Cynthia loves it and said the trailer is out of scale and needs to be bigger in comparison to the Mini. I said IT IS JUST A THUMBNAIL!! She is my best critic and I appreciate her more than words can say. She is my muse, business manager, IT manager, customer service manager and plans proofer. She is also a graduate Designer from Syracuse U. so she has the chops to keep me on my toes.

This is a Scroll Saw Magic plan set that will be fun and easy to build but also have a lot of nostalgic impact...or so I hope!

This is the 1965 classic Mini Cooper with a period trailer and a modern 4 wheeler. Any feedback will be carefully considered and greatly appreciated. There will be more and better detailed sketches tomorrow. I look forward to discussing this on the forum.

Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
John, To get closer to timeframe of your 1965 Mini Cooper I’d mention maybe eliminate the modern 4 wheeler and go with a Honda Big Red 3 wheeler that came out in 1970. Pasted info -“1970 ATC90
"What Is It?" asks Honda's advertising brochure. Just a revolutionary off-road vehicle destined to launch a whole new industry that will sell more than 6.5 million machines*. Honda's first ATV is a three-wheel ATC, or All-Terrain Cycle, originally named the US90; the name was later changed to ATC90. The 89cc four-stroke single cranks out 7 horsepower and features extras such as a Swivel-Lok™ handlebar for easy loading in a trunk or station wagon.
*Estimated industry sales from 1970-August 1999”
Camnight

Reply with quote  #3 
John that would be a great plan i love mini, can't wait.

George
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
ATC90, yep I remember those. Death Traps is what I called them. Sale was banned in 1988

Suzuki was selling LT125D quads in 1982.

Much to my surprise the first ones were made by Royal Enfield in 1883.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the timely input. I appreciate the research info. I an having a ball with this concept.
Rod T

Reply with quote  #6 
I am looking forward to this one. 
Can't wait for more detailed plans.

Good choice with the Mini Cooper

Cheers
Rod T

john lewman

Reply with quote  #7 
I got side-tracked dreaming about the Mini Cooper Rally cars of the Sixties. I had a college friend that had one of these little Mini's. I had a 1959 VW bug at the time. That Mini was a riot to drive. It handled like it was part of me. Amazing. This plan set is going to be a lot of fun. I added the Land Rover because these classics were used as tow vehicles and crew stations. I will do the camper and mini later on. The plan set will have various glue-on Rally graphics that you can print from your color printer at home. I found the red Rally Mini here on Google image. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

1961 Mini Cooper 004.jpg 
1961 Mini Cooper.jpg 
51P8TMK1GXL.jpg  1961 Mini Cooper 005.jpg

wwalker47

Reply with quote  #8 
I have always loved the mini cooper. But the cooper I really love is the is the mini cooper woody wagon from the 60's and here is a picture of a 1961 model. Perhaps you can use that for your mini with the trailer and other interesting things.  Now ain't that pretty?

images.jpg 

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Rod T

Reply with quote  #9 
This is looking awesome. 
I like the Land Rover addition. 

The Mini is looking a bit long. Maybe the side doors could be a bit wider/longer towards the back wheel.
Then the rear side window would be a bit smaller.

Or make the whole car a bit shorter at the rear to make the rear side windows a bit smaller. 

Maybe it's just me. It is looking a bit half way between the Red Cooper pic and the wagon that wwalker77 posted.

The Land Rover looks spot on.

Cheers
Rod T
john lewman

Reply with quote  #10 
Great input RodT. Thanks-I will take another look.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks for the pic, Bill. I have never seen one of these! I will keep that a consideration.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #12 
This version of the Mini is in response to RodT's feedback. What do you think of this one? Getting the Mini right is really difficult to do in standard cuts of wood with no carving. This is about as close as I can get, I think. Feedback is greatly appreciated. I want to get this plan set right!

1961 Mini Cooper 006.jpg 

eburk

Reply with quote  #13 
Much better in this latest design. [biggrin]

Reply with quote  #14 
Rover Scene File 001.png  Rover Scene File 002.png  Rover Scene File 003.png 
This is the final proto for the Land Rover. I am moving right along on the tow trailer and final Mini Cooper and should be able to post those tomorrow. This has 1-1/2" wheels and is approximately 10" long. More later!

Rod T

Reply with quote  #15 
Lookin good

I think this one is much better. 
removing the front and back windscreen cut outs from the pillars improves it as well.

Have you got a straight on side view?

Cheers
Rod T

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.