Author   Comment  
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
This is an interesting and rather genius design from DIY Builds. The CNC has a half sheet of plywood cut capacity with a maximum thickness allowance of 6". The entire unit cost under $900 to make. A free set of plans and cost breakdown analysis (with links to every product used) is available for download at DIYBuilds.ca

I of course have not built this....yet. But the video is fascinating!

flamepainter

Reply with quote  #2 
I watched this video and was thoroughly impressed. If I had the room for it, I would probably give it a shot. I also visited his website diybuilds.ca and downloaded a few other things he has plans and videos for. Thanks for sharing this John.
Jim
Wombat

Reply with quote  #3 
I too have seen this before, last year while trying to decide whether to scratch-build or buy a ready-made cnc machine.
 I realised that I would have needed to buy a drop-saw, a nail-gun and compressor  and a way-better table saw to be able to make the parts, so I did investigate if a local cnc-routing business could have cut the parts for me. Initial materials costing in local currency came too close to the cost of a purchased all-metal machine kit. 

However the fact that timber is not very dimensionally stable, the "guides" were rudimentary at best, and belt drive slip/stretch issues moaned about on various cnc forums, convinced me this machine would not meet my accuracy or repeatability requirements.  The fact that it was also way bigger than I needed put the nail in its coffin for me.

timtan34c

Reply with quote  #4 
I built a Gatton CNC. http://www.davegatton.com. He has a weekly show on Sat 8pm Eastern; and a facebook group Gatton CNC. Worth it if you are willing to take up the challenge of building one yourself. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.